Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Manuel on Movies #7

Here we go with some more movie reviews for you. Enjoy and hopefully, something interests you, or convinces you not to see it... oh and sorry about the weird margins/spaces between movies. I can't seem to fix them.



Meet Bill is a recent release on video that I don't got a wide release in the theaters. Well, if it did, I didn't hear anything about it. This was one of those cutesy dark comedy, find youself, midlife crisis type of movies. Sounds pretty specific, but there are a lot of these lately it seems. Eckhart plays Bill, a guy with some low self esteem who is dealing with finding out his wife is cheating on him. He has to find himself and find what makes him happy and he does this with the help of a high school boy that he is mentoring through some program at the bank he works at. It's a cute movie and I was entertained, but I was never super emotionally involved with the characters. Eckhart is very good in it though. 6.5 out of 10.










This is the third(and proably not last) in the Resident Evil movie series. I enjoyed the first installment, but was rather disappointed with the sequel. I gave this one a shot simply because I am willing to give any zombie movie a chance. The movie, while not deep by any means, did its job. It entertained me. I got exactly what I wanted which was great action scenes, people getting torn apart by zombies, and acting that wasn't TOO terrible. I mean, it is a movie about freakin' zombies, what do you expect? I would have to rewatch the first one to see if I liked it more than that one, but it sure topped the second. Plus, Milla Jovovich is hot... 7 out of 10


















Wow, this was a bad movie. Here is your plot, a girl and her man are taking a trip and stop at a rest stop. She uses the restroom and when she exits, she finds her man missing. She is attacked by some psychopath in a truck who forces her back into the restroom. The rest of the movie is her in the restroom talking to herself, venturing out, seeing the psychopath, running back in, talking to ghosts of the people he has killed(WTF?!?!?), repeat, repeat. There is one scene where she escapes on some families RV and they turn out to be plain weirdos, al la, the Texas Chainsaw family. They yell at her and boot her out and this becomes the most worthless scene in cinematic history. This was just flat out terrible.... 1 out of 10

















I don't really care for Jack Black and don't think he is that funny. Despite my attempts at not liking him, I actually do like a lot of Ben Stiller films even though he himself may not be that funny. Downey Jr. was of course the wild card as I haven't seen him that much in a straight out comedy. It worked. This was a damn funny movie. There were some scenes that were just ho hum and standard comedy stuff that don't really make me laugh. However, there were some scenes that were some laugh out loud, make a fool of yourself, funny that they mae up for the non funny scenes. In case you don't know the plot, they are movie stars who are filming a Vietnam type war movie. Filming on location puts them in danger as drug makers in the jungle discover them and take one hostage. Hilarity ensues of course. Jack Black is still Jack Black and he only has one funny scene, but that scene is one of the best of the movie. Ben Stiller is his usual self and actually pretty forgetable. Downey Jr. is wonderful though and has some very funny scenes. He is only matches by Tom Cruise who is also very hysterical as a slightly overweight, foul mouthed movie executive. He steals every scene he is in. Matthew McConaughey is also fairly amusing as Stiller's agent. Overall, this was a very funny movie and I found myself wantitng to see it again only a couple of days later. I'll wait til DVD, but I am anxious. 8 out of 10.


I saw this while looking for a mystery/thriller to watch on Netflix instant view while I work. It is a foreign film, but can't remember what movie produced it. It follows a British mystery writer who uses the French vacation house of her agent to write her new book. She expects quiet, but her time there is turned upside down when her agent's young promiscious daughter comes to use the house as well. At first they don't get along at all because of being so different. They learn to deal with it eventually and in the last third, hell, maybe last quarter of the movie, a mystery finally develops. Then it is resolved. Then someting happens near the end which totally confuses me and makes me wonder what the hell just happened and if I understood the movie at all. I went online after and literally found 50 different people interpreting how they think the movie was meant to be taken. Foreign films.... 6 out of 10






We just saw Death Sentence last night and wat a movie it was. Kevin Bacon is a father and his oldest son is killed at the beginning of the film in some sort of gang initiation. Not satisfied with the legal system, he decides to become a vigilante. He becomes the hunter, but then the role is revesed when the gang realizes and starts coming after him. Bacon then has to protect the rest of his family. This is a very violent film and not really one you want to watch if you are having a bad day. It really is not a feel good movie at all and it sticks with you after. It is dark, grim, and overall, just a downer. Still, I loved it. It is one of those movies that really makes you think, "What would I do if I were in that situation?" Not for the faint of heart, this movie comes highly recommended. 9 out of 10.

16 comments:

Jose said...

Protect what's yours sounds like a movie I would like to watch. I am a fan of the Death Wish movies and loved Denzel in Man on Fire.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I rented Death Sentance awhile back and I thought it to be very good.. I love Kevin Bacon and he can do just about any type of genre of film.. I haven't seen "Meet Bill" yet and not sure if I will.. "Resident Evil" I thought was pretty good, but not as good as the first one..

The third in your review is something I will not bother with at all..

Jack Black and Ben stiller don't do a thing for me.. I don't find either one of them all that funny..

And lastly I usually don't watch foreign films.. So that one will not be added to my list..

Thanks so much for the reviews.. I'm sure some people like these movies and that's okay by me..

Anonymous said...

not quite the usual for you this time around

Tropic Thunder can wait until TNT or something...I cannot abide Jack Black or Ben Stiller.

No Rest Stop for me...I will take the 1 of 10 as a very bad thing and stay miles away from that one.

I really liked the first Resident Evil but have not seen any since. The thing about part one that got me was the soundtrack.

AlienCG said...

I have not seen any of these and I probably won't see Rest Stop at all. Tropic Thunder just doesn't do anything for me. I have yet to see the Resident Evil series.

Anonymous said...

You said you haven't seen Downey Jr in a real comedy... Try Kiss Kiss, Bang Bang. I caught it on HBO about a year ago. Val Kilmer plays a gay assain... This is worth a Netflix.

*Renee* said...

Thanks for all the movie reviews! Meet Bill actually sounds interesting after reading your review - I love the cutesy dark comedies from time to time. And although this "Rest Stop" movie ranked low - anything related to bathrooms is a MUST SEE for me! LOL, I love bathrooms - don't ask why, cause I don't know that either. But where-ever I go, I like to rate them ;)! When you mentioned the whole Texas Chainsaw thing going on with this movie, that made me more intrigued to want to rent this. But I'll see if I can rent it for free at the library of at the $1 Redbox thingy.

And the pool movie looked cool when it came out but I never understand foreign films myself. I have the lowest attention span and if you don't understand this movie fully, then I doubt I will at all. I'll pass on that one :)! GOOD POST!!!

Anonymous said...

I look forward to your reviews. Thanks. This was kind of a different group. Must not be a whole lot of good stuff out right now.
We plan to see Tropic Thunder when it comes out on DVD. It looks like fun. We saw the Resident Evil one awhile back. It was pretty good. I love Kevin Bacon so I might check his out sometime.

Churlita said...

I saw Swimming Pool and kind of liked it. I've never heard of Death Sentence, but it sounds like something I'd want to see. Thanks for the reviews.

Tara said...

I'm very curious about "Tropic Thunder", but I think I too will wait for DVD release.

Just saw "The Spiderwick Chronicles" the other night, and I really liked it!

laura b. said...

I always enjoy your movie reviews. The only one I've already seen is Swimming Pool. I really liked it....and of course have my own interpretation of what actually happened :-)
I think Meet Bill looks like something I'd like...and I won't even get into all the hate for my boys Jack and Ben. haha!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I so envy your ability to work from home and watch movies while you do it. I don't seem to remember a review on that one movie you told me about though - the dark comedy about the fat kidnapper guy?

dmarks said...

Hey, there's the guy from The Dark Knight. I suppose it is time to meet Bill rather than kill him.

The scenes from the trailers for "Tropic Thunder" with Robt. Downey Jr. look great.

I've seen one Jack Black movie. And I do have to give the guy props for:

1) performing the "Land of the Lost" theme live with his band.

2) staying out of the Will Ferrell "Land of the Lost" movie.

Anonymous said...

thanks for the warning about number 3...I had been thinking about watching it.

I won't now!

Mom said...

When I first saw the trailer for Tropic Thunder I couldn't help but think of Three Amigos. I'll probably watch it on DVD - not a movie I would pay to go see.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm H. and I work in a company interested in blog advertising. I found your blog engaging and I'm contacting you to ask if you are interested in blog post sponsorship.

If you are interested, kindly mail back (k5ino@bigstring.com) and I'll send you pricing details, guidelines and processes. Looking forward to doing business with you.

Sincerely,

H.

MrManuel said...

Jose - It is actually based on a Death Wish book.

MHW - Glad you at least liked Death Sentence.

Evil E - No Rest Stop for you, but it sounds like your girlfriend wants to see it!

Alien - At least see Death Sentence

Kel - You are not the first person to mention that movie. I put it in my netflix list.

Renee - Make Evil E watch it. Sounds like he will be thrilled!

Nani - Yes, check out Death Sentence for sure!

Churlita - Yeah, I recommend it.


Tara - You are the first person I know who saw Spiderwick.

Laura - Yeah a lot of hate here for them I guess.

Jess - I forgot that one. I'll have to do that next time.

Dmarks - Are you going to se ethe Land of the Lost remake? It looks so bad!

Val - Stay away from it at all costs!

Mom - We'll be buying it!

Anon - No thanks!