Sunday, February 22, 2009

The Oscars

First of all, sorry it has been a week since a post. Something has happened that has really not put me in the mood to post, but I will update you all as soon as it is over. It should be soon. It is not health related, so no worries there.

Secondly, I want to wish a Happy Birthday to my beautiful wife! Happy birthday my love.

As you all know, Jess and I are big fans of the Academy Awards and we always see all five movie nominated for Best Picture and have done so for over 10 years, close to 15 actually. This year was no different and in fact, it is kind of cool that the birthday celebration and the awards show are on the same day!

So, here are my thoughts. When the nominations were announced, here is the ranking of how much I was looking forward to each film. I had already seen Benjamin Button and loved it, so I put that at number one simply because I loved it so much.

#1 Benjamin Button
#2 Slumdog Millionaire
#3 Milk
#4 Frost/Nixon
#5 The Reader

So now, after seeing them, in what order did I like them?

#1 is still Benjamin Button as I simply loved the movie. You can read my review here:
http://manuelsview.blogspot.com/2009/01/manuel-on-movies-10.html





#2 Milk was a really great movie. I thought I would like it as I do enjoy biopics, but I didn't know I would enjoy it as much as I did. The story of Harvey Milk is very touching and moving and Sean Penn was excellent. In fact, the whole cast was excellent and the film really captured the mood of the times. I love films where I can be entertained, enlightened, and learn a few things I didn't know all in one sitting. I almost put it ahead of Button, but in the end, I put it at #2 because it WAS just a biopic, and was simply retelling a story, whereas Button was something original (although based on a story) and just felt like something special. 9 out of 10


#3 I ended up liking The Reader a lot more than I figured I would. In fact, you can see it was last on my list of anticipation. But, this movie really surprised me, especially because I had heard so many bad things about it and heard outcry after outcry over how it was included and the overrated Dark Knight wasn't. But this was a very good movie. I thought it started as a great story of this older woman seducing a younger man, but once you find out the woman has a past and the secrets start to come out halfway through the picture, it gets even better. It is an emotional movie with some real moral questions. I ended up being really torn on some things, but I can't really say why without giving too much away. Kate Winslett was AMAZING in it and this is really her movie. 8 out of 10


#4 Slumdog Millionaire is kind of an overrated movie. Prior to seeing it, all I heard was how great this movie was and I was actually excited about seeing it. It wasn't a bad movie, but it just didn't live up to expectations. I LOVED how they told the story, with flashbacks about different times in the main character's life. I thought that part of the storytelling was brilliant. But, I just wasn't moved by the actually story. I didn't really CARE about the characters enough to be moved by it. It was a good story, but nothing special in my opinion. I didn't finish the moovie with a big smile on my face as it seems everyone else has. In the end, I have seen it, it was good, but I feel no urge to ever see it again. 7.5 out of 10


#5 Frost/Nixon is a tough film because the director, Ron Howard, had to basically make the audience care and stay awake for a 2 hour film centered around some interviews that had to do with politics. Sounds like a snoozer, but it wasn't really that bad. Langella (Skeletor!!) was great as Nixon and Sheen was very charasmatic as the interviewer Frost. And in fact, I was never bored and actually cared about what direction the story was going to go and it gave me some cheer moments weirdly enough. But in the end, it WAS a movie, a biopic if you will, centered around a set of interviews and great acting could only take this movie so far before the actual subject matter took over. This was a good film. Not a great film. I learned some stuff I didn't know, but I am sure I won't ever be seeing it again. 7 out of 10.

So, after all that, what WILL win? My bet is on Slumdog. Everyone seems to love the movie and it has some amazing momentum. I don't quite get it and years from now, I think it will go down as one of the overrated movies that took off because of hype, but isn't THAT great once you take a step back from everything and analyze it for what it was, simply a pretty good movie.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back. I love your reviews and will watch keeping your thoughts and opinions in mind.
My only hope for the awards today is that Heath Ledger gets the Oscar. I will say it again. I think his performance was the best by any actor ever! Over the top? No way. He would have had a hard time matching or outdoing his own performance had he lived. Hugs.

Jose said...

Well, first things first. HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your chica. Hope she has a fantastic day. I am not into Oscar caliber movies, and to date none of the ones you mention has sparked any interest in me. I know I will watch some eventually as they are aired on cable and I have nothing else to see.

Anonymous said...

I do want to see Frost/Nixon. The rest of them I think I can give or take. I hope things get better for you.

Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JESS!!!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Thanks for the birthday shout out, my dear. And thanks to everyone else for the birthday wishes.

I rank my movies as:
1) Benjamin Button
2) Milk
3) (Tie) The Reader and Slumdog
5) Frost/Nixon

I have lots to say about each but nothing too different from yours.

And Nani, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I agree that Heath Ledger did a fantastic job as the Joker in The Dark Knight, but I do not believe he would have been nominated for an Oscar had he not died. I'll repeat - his performance was excellent, but by no means was it the best performance by any actor ever. But he won, so now we can (finally) move on.

laura b. said...

First, Happy Birthday to Jessica!

Second, I appreciate the movie insights. I've been to the movies so seldom this year...the only one out of the five I've even seen was Slumdog Millionaire...and I only saw it last night! So anyway, I have no frame of reference for judging.

dmarks said...

Mind being tagged to choose this weeks Saturday Scavenger Hunt?

The one on that list that I really wanted to see was "Slumdog Millionaire", but I have not seen it yet.

Happy Birthday to your chica, too!

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Love reading your reviews.. I on the other hand don't bother with the awards anymore.. They come across as all self-important and it's the public that ends up deciding the fate of a movie.. whether it's a good one or not.. all awrds ought to be done like that.. based on what the public says.. They are the ones that go and pay the big bucks to see it .. Anyways I loved reading your reviews and keep up the good work..

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

BTW Happy Birthday To Jess!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Jess!

We're pretty happy with most of the wins, though like you guys I wasn't rooting for Danny Boyle or Slumdog Millionaire. I thought it was a good film, though nowhere near my favorite of the year. I would like to watch it again to see if I like it better on second viewing, though in light of the Best Picture win and all the hype, I'm afraid I'll like it less, if that makes any sense.

It was great meeting your mom and dad yesterday, Manuel. Though it was brief, they seem like wonderful people. One of these days we're m gonna have to have your dad give us some pointers on getting our yard into shape.

-Sal and Katie

Churlita said...

Belated Happy birthday to Jess.

I saw all but Milk and Frost/Nixon.

I loved Slumdog but saw it before I heard any hype, and I think I identified with it a lot because of the whole "orphaned as a kid and put in a bad situation" theme. I loved The Reader and thought Winslett did a great job in NOT making that character sympathetic, as most people would want to do.

Mom said...

OK, Jess - 1st - we had fun celebrating your birthday and the Oscars all together. 2nd - It was very nice meeting you Sal and Katie - I have only read your comments and wondered who you were - you seemed like such a genuine couple and now that I have met you both, my impression is the same. 3rd - movies - this was the first year I saw all of them and it was a lot of fun. I loved all of them in their own right. It is hard to say which was the best because they were all so different. I was really hoping for Milk to one but very happy that at least Sean Pean won because he did a great job. I wasn't as impressed with Button like I was hoping but I still really liked it. I'm looking forward to watching many more movies with you. Love you all!

laura b. said...

BTW, Alien kindly stepped in with this week's word - End. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Nice reviews! I haven't seen these movies yet, so the synopsis is great for me. I hope you get it sorted out, I've had some stuff hanging over me too, and it's a relief when it gets resolved :)