Monday, February 09, 2009

Well there ya go...

Here is an update on my headache situation. So, as you know, the MRI came back ok, but I had to wait for my ultrasound on my carotid artery because they fucked up and forgot to order it. So, on Friday the 30th, I finally got it and was told I would get my results in a couple of days or right away if it was something bad. Well, I waited a week, last Friday, and finally called because I had not heard anything yet.


I talked to the MA, the lady that has been screwing me over already, and asked about my results. She went and looked and said she saw they were on the Dr.'s desk and he would call me with the results. She said not to worry because if it was bad, I would have found out right away.


So, he didn't call me back Friday, but today I got a call from the MA again and said she ordered my labs.


Me: "Umm.....what?"

Bitch: "Your labs, the blood test you need to get first."

Me: "Before what, what are you talking about?"

Bitch(in an annoyed tone now): "Your CT!"

Me: "Um, I had an MRI and my ultrasound, where is the CT coming from?"

Bitch: "Hold on, let me get the doctor..."


So, I talked to the doctor. Basically, he told me what I feared. The ultrasound showed that they suspect that I have a carotid dissection. What is it?


Basically, I have a tear in my carotid artery, or more specifically, a tear between the inner and outer layers of my carotid artery. What is bad is that with the tear, blood can leak into this area between my inner and outer layer which can then clot up and then what follows is a stroke.

How did it happen? Who knows. Basically, from what I have read everywhere, it happens in one of 2 ways. One way is spontaneous or rather, it just happens and nobody knows why. The other way it happens is a trauma - a neck or head injury, or even something as simple as a violent cough or sneeze. I am sure I will never know and I have no idea how it is treated. Probably won't know until I get more results and see how bad it is.

So, the doctor ordered a CT scan to verify if that is indeed what I have. A CT is more accurate than the ultrasound. Jess called today see what my activity level should be until we find out more, etc, but of course, they never called her back today. So, it took over a week to get results that I was assured would have been ok or they would have called me sooner. And then I find out, the results were NOT good. Jess contacted the patient advocate and she was appalled at everything she heard so we are not letting this go. And if God forbid something is really wrong and they were just a little too late in catching it, they will have Hell to pay. We wait and see...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say here. Given the monsoon of awful news you guys have had to put up with recently, you are well overdue for some good news and we're so sorry you didn't get it. Just know that we're a phone call (or a text, an e-mail or an I.M. away) if we can do anything to help in any way.

-Sal and Katie

Miss Sassy Pants said...

The clinic is going to get the full wrath of Jessica. They are soon going to know they fucked up on the wrong person.

And I think, ultimately, everything will be ok. Whatever the treatment is, whatever the recovery is, you'll be ok. This is just a little hurdle in your life and I'll be there (along with all of your family and friends) to help you over it.

I love you SO much, sweetie.

Unknown said...

It's like hearing from my surgeon "it's a fairly standard procedure, but there is always the chance I could nick a nerve and cause permanent damage". That kind of wakes you up to how serious things actually are. In the end, you have to trust that things will be fine. Have patience. Accept help. Stay positive. Talk.

These are things you're told when times get tough because they are true. You guys are going through so much, its hard to believe. You both know that even though I'm half the country away, I'll do anything I can to help.

It sucks when you find out you're not actually "Unbreakable". I call shenanigans!

Mom said...

The news was still not want you wanted to hear but I think it was escalated because of the bad patient care you seem to be receiving. We love you and will be there for whatever you need my son!

Anonymous said...

SHREIK!!

laura b. said...

I'm sorry for your diagnosis, but am so glad that you kept following up when your clinic was so horribly non-responsive.
You were so smart to get checked out like this...now you know and now you can get treatment...and you also know that medical professionals are not always all that professional. Sounds like Jessica is going to remind them of their need to step things up around there. Get 'em, Miss Sassy Pants!
And please let us know how things are going.

garygoings said...

I prescribe a cheeseburger. Followed by an assortment of brownies, maybe some with the hershey kisses in them. That should make your day better. Sounds like this clinic should only be allowed to assist in healthcare by setting up tents in a third-world-country and providing bottled water that they had no hand in making. Anything with more responsibility than that would get fucked up. Aren't they worried about the outcome of their lack of attention to patients' well-being? Call Chris Hansen from Dateline and see if you could get this doctor to show up to a 12 year-old boy's house with cupcakes and lubriderm. What a jerk! I bet he wouldn't forget to call little Billy back.

Churlita said...

That is so irresponsible of that clinic. I had that once when my daughter had meningitis. i kept calling a nurse to see if I could bring her into the Dr and they kept telling me I was overreacting. I worked in a clinic. I don't overreact. if anything, I under react. Anyway, when I finally did get her in, she was so far gone, she couldn't even feel pain. Luckily, she responded really well to the antibiotics and made it through just fine. It was just way more stressful than it had to be.

Jose said...

That's no news until it hits home. I know doctors have to detach themselves from their patients problems but that does not give them the right to put your problem in a forgoten corner of their desk to eventually call you at their convinience. The assholes. Have you ever watched the movie "The Doctor". I recomend it.