Wednesday, February 25, 2009

So What Happened...

Ok, so here is the explanation. I started the month trying to blog every day in the month of February in honor of my wife's birthday. In fact, I enjoyed it even though I was having my health crisis. Well, as you probably all know by now, that all turned out to be a ok in the end. However, last Tuesday, we were hit with yet ANOTHER thing to have to worry about. Unlike many of the other problems, this wasn't going to kill someone, but it was almost just as bad.

Remember how the neuro office was really dropping the ball with me and I kept falling through the cracks? Remember how I had Jess look up my records to make sure I was being taken care of and to make sure if there WAS something bad happening, I was finding out about it?

Well, someone at Jessica's work, a coworker, ratted her out and it was brought to the attention of her supervior who reported it to human resources. Yeah, technically, what she did was illegal. She was doing for my benefit and basically, because she thought I was at risk, but it didn't matter as they see it as a black or white issue.

So, Tuesday she was called into the office by HR and was told she was in trouble. In that meeting, she was told it would go under review, and depending on what they decide, she would either be suspended or fired. Yes, she could lose her job because she was trying to protect her husband. Not check out a random person's file, but her husband, who she was trying to make sure wasn't going to die from neglect. She was told in that meeting she would know the decision by Thursday afternoon. Meanwhile, until that time we were a wreck. If she lost her job, it would obviously be devasting. Not only are jobs scarce, but if she did find an opening, she has this major violation on her record, a violation she was terminated for. If she can't find a job, we don't have a way of paying the mortgage. So, needless to say, this was bad.

So, Thursday came along and nobody came by. She called at the end of the day asking if she could know the next day as she didn't want to worry all of her birthday weekend. But, alas, Friday came and went. Luckily, she took a fuck it approach and just enjoyed her weekend. Monday came along, nothing. Tuesday, a week after being notified, nothing. Finally, today, we got word she would have the meeting in the afternoon. I was nervous all day. At 3:45, she got the final word - a three day suspension.

This is a huge sigh of relief for us. A suspension without pay for a few days we can handle. Loss of her job, we would not be able to. So, that is where I have been. I didn't want to really say anything until it was all done, but I also didn't feel like faking my usual happy posts when I/we were clearly not ok. It just makes me mad that she got in trouble for protecting me because of by the numbers laws. It makes me mad that the person at fault, the person who could have risked my life, will most likely not be punished at all. How is that fair? What is worse - looking at your husband's record to make sure he is being cared for properly or neglecting a patient? But in the end, it is now over.

I am probably not going to post for a few days, but when I come back, I'll be back with force. I actually enjoyed posting everyday and I will do my best to post as much as possible. I also promise to start visiting your blogs again. With my health issue on top of this new issue, I haven't really been in the mood to read blogs. But, it is all behind us now. The way our last 6 months or so have gone, hopefully, this is the last thing we have to deal with for a while...

9 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yep... 4.5 years with the company. Crystal clear record. One (not so small) infraction trying to protect my husband from the very organization I work for and the result is one step below getting fired. Nice... Or maybe I didn't get fired because of those things. Who knows... It's done and I get a 5 day weekend. I just wish we could do something fun to relieve all the stress we've been having.

Anonymous said...

Jess, what a story! I'm so glad you were suspended and not fired. I am sure this is due to your excellent record and also that you were just trying to take care of your husband. Enjoy your time off. Then go back as if nothing happened. Hold your head high Sweetie.
Manuel. Thanks for letting us know. I love your daily posts so am looking forward to "what we did on our five day vacation". Also, pictures of ice cream and hamburgers. Hugs.

Jose said...

I'm sure if you have to do it all over again you probably would. I'm with Nani, hold your head high and be proud you were proactive when it came to your husband. If it's any consolation I just sent a couple of virtual slaps to the bitch that rattled on you.

Jose said...

Obiously that comment was intended for your wife.

Churlita said...

Whew! I'm glad it wasn't any worse, but what a load of crap.

I still think it's weird that patients aren't allowed to order their own charts.

Have a great 5 day weekend, Jess. And you should at least eat some ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Do you ever get the feeling that laws in this country are back asswards? I tell you write to your congressman, but that won't do any good. I am glad to hear it wasn't another serious medical problem. Enjoy your 5-day weekend, Jess, and relax.

laura b. said...

Oh my goodness, I can only imagine what it must have been like wondering what was going to happen. I guess when they found out, they had to do something, but it sounds like they did take Jessica's great record and the other facts about this whole situation into consideration. May life now be completely uneventful for awhile!

Anonymous said...

We don't get this. Obviously Jess looking through at your records is a no-no, but as you stated, it's not like you're a random patient. As your wife, why SHOULDN'T she be able to check your records? The idea that Jess might have gotten fired for doing what she did, for the reason she did it, is frustrating and senseless.

What's with this co-worker who ratted Jess out? What's her problem? I don't believe in karma, and I don't waste my time wishing ill on people, but she did a terrible thing to a person who may have broken a rule, but did so with good intentions, in a way that didn't hurt anyone. Someday, she should find out firsthand what this last week felt like for the two of you.

Anyway, to re-iterate what we've already said to you both, we're ecstatic that it turned out as well as it could have. Enjoy your long weekend, and be glad you have some time to start working on the bedroom. Also, we can't wait to see more pictures of burgers and ice cream!

-Sal and Katie

Mom said...

What goes around comes around. That's my motto. Now Jess, I'm sure they want you sitting in a corner reflecting on how bad you were instead of having so much fun - so pick a corner and go sit in it! he he! Hey = you know what's even funnier? my word verification is "oursin" How weird is that!