Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Forgotten Pain

The other day I purchased a new program for the Wii called the Wii Active. I used the Wii Fit for a while last year and it helped me to lose close to 17 pounds . However, ever since the holidays, I kind of stopped watching what I ate, stopped exercising, etc, and although I didn't gain all the weight back, I gained a decent chunk. Ready to get back on the weight loss wagon, I started up the Wii Fit on June 1. The only thing was, I was bored with it and I didn't really feel it was that strenuous despite the help it gave me last year. I heard about a new program called the Wii Active and gave it a go this past Saturday.

OH. MY. GOD. This thing totally kicked my butt. I had to enter all my basic information and pick an activity level I wanted to work at. You could start doing exercises on your own, but I chose to do the 30 day challenge which is a guided workout - the on screen instructor chooses my exercises and keeps me going until it decides I am done. By the end of the 30+ minutes of my first guided workout on Saturday, I had more sweat than I had had in years and I could barely move my legs as it had me do a tremendous amount of leg work, lunges and such. But, I felt good about doing it.

Sunday I woke up and I could barely move. Determined, I went on to day 2. Like a bad nightmare, the program threw even more leg work at me, rendering my quads useless at one point. They had other focus areas too, but this is what hurt the worst by far. The rest of the day Sunday, every little step too the effort of a champion. Thankfully, when I went on to day 3 on Monday, the majority of the work was focused on arm work. And, because the program must have appreciated my hard work, it told me to take the day off today to rest my muscles. What is funny though is I was almost disappointed this morning not to exercise, but I wanted to stick with what it told me. Still, I am actually looking forward to tomorrow's workout and I can't believe I just typed that. I am quite happy with this program so far...

10 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I am proud of you for being so determined. Keep up the hard work!

Mom said...

It sounds like a great program. Keep it up. You'll definitely be ready for the walk/run in July. By the way, are you doing the walk or the run with your sis?

Kelly said...

Thank you for this review. Pete and I have wondered about it, and like you, are totally bored with Wii Fit. I think we will definitely have to get this now.

Sal said...

I am going to have to check out Wii Active. It might be just what I need. Glad to hear it's working for you! Way to go.

laura b. said...

That sounds amazing. Please keep us up to date with how it is going for you.

nani said...

Good work! I'm happy you are so determined. You will have so much energy as you progress. Hugs

Churlita said...

Good for you. That has to be tough. It took me a bout a month when I got back to serious running, to finally feel like I was getting in better shape. Soon you won't be half as sore after your work-outs.

Jose said...

I want one. God know I need to do some exercise. Good to hear you are getting nice workouts.

Sebastien Millon said...

This is great news, didn't realize these programs could be so useful. Keep at it, and don't get discouraged!

MrManuel said...

Wife - Thanks, I'll keep working at it!

Mom - Can I do the walk, but jog?

Kel - Well, it is hands down better than Wii Fit

Sal - Yeah, I like it so far

Laura - Will do!

Nani - More energy wouldn't be a bad thing

Churlita - I look forward to that

Jose - Go get one then senor

Seb - Yeah, they are better than nothing