Monday, June 22, 2009

Is this thing on?

I have been doing my Wii Active now a little over a week and I have to say, I am pretty frustrated. Here is the thing - since I have started using it, I have gained a few pounds, not lost a few pounds as I was hoping. My diet really hasn't changed. The exercises are honestly more strenuous than anything I have done in a long time. When the workout is over I am drenched with sweat, full of aches and pains, and worn out. It is like 500 times more work than the Wii Fit was. I feel like I have more energy than I have in a long time, a feeling of rejuvenation. And yet, like I said, I am gaining weight. I know, I know, muscle weighs more than fat. But, I didn't gain 4 pounds of muscle last week. I was losing more weight by not exercising at all and THAT is really frustrating. I am going to stick with it because it does make me feel good to do such a workout (and I am on the medium level, not even the hardest yet), but I would be lying if I said there wasn't a big level of disappointment right now.

I had a great Father's Day over at my parents' house yesterday, but I would be lying if I said there wasn't an underlying sense of sadness yesterday over the fact that I probably will never be a father. Long time readers of the blog know of the struggles my wife and I have had in having a child and I have pretty much reached a point where I am over it and have come to terms with our situation. The last couple of Father's Days haven't been too difficult, but yesterday seemed to hit me pretty hard. I think I would be a good father, but life isn't always fair I guess. Hell, I am sure we all know that.

Have a fun week coming up this week. Tomorrow and Wednesday, I will have some work to do and Jess has to work, but Thursday we get to see Transformers, Thursday night Jess is cooking chicken spaghetti, one of my all time favorite dishes, Friday night we have a wedding to go to, Saturday night is poker, and Sunday night we are going with the New Yorkers to Joe's Crab Shack. We've never been there so we are looking forward to it. And then on top of all this, my daily pictures! My wife, the sweetheart she is even created a fan page on Facebook for my photography and you can now become a fan of Manuel Valle's photography. Best wife ever! Have a good week everyone!

9 comments:

Sal said...

Wow! A very diverse and well-rounded entry full of all kinds of stuff. Sorry the Wii Active isn't working out quite as you'd hoped. Give it time; I'm hoping that you see a major change soon. Unfortunately it sounds like it would be a bit too strenuous for my dad, but I am still debating getting it to use myself.

Glad you had a great Father's Day, but of course I'm sorry about your realization. I'd love to see you guys keep trying and a miracle occur, but no one knows better than you and Jess what comes from false hope. You two would make such wonderful parents, and if I had magical powers you would be.

Chicken spaghetti? I assume this is spaghetti with chicken in place of the traditional meat - ground beef, sausage, etc. Sounds great!

Mom said...

Hey darling. don't get discouraged. Keep on working hard. It takes about three weeks before everything starts to come together. At my gym they even had that written down for people to see nd understand. Just don't weight yourself everyday - try to keep it to once a week at the same time, and then you'll have a better idea, and never weigh yourself after exercising.

I'm glad you had a great Father's Day but I know it is hard for you - how can it not be. I saw your post on Facebook as well. I never know what to say, so I just don't say anything at all. Don't know if that is right or not, but know that my heart breaks everyday for the two of you, and especially on Mother's day and Father's Day. You two would definitely be awesome parents, we all know. I guess, if you can't spoil and love your own children, you're just going to have to spoil and love your parents.

Your week sounds fun but you forgot about having lunch with your sis on Friday. You guys are still planning on going, right?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I know how hard you're working toward losing weight - eating well and exercising - and how frustrating it is to not see results. Please hang in there, sweetie. The fact that you're feeling better is all the reason you need to continue. Don't let the scale be the thing that brings you happiness or a sense of success.

I'm sorry you had a bit of a sad Father's Day. I'm mostly ok with the hand we've been dealt until something comes along to remind me, and Mother's and Father's Day are big ones. i think you and I are very similar in that regard - ok until we have to think about it. I am sorrier about nothing in life than I am that I can't give you a child.

I look forward to our week; we do have some fun things planned!

I love you very much.

Churlita said...

I think the weight thing will start turning around soon. You'll notice it first in how your clothes fit you, and then you'll start seeing the scale reflect it. Muscle really does weigh a lot. I always gain in the Summer when I start working-out in earnest, but then I start shedding lbs.

nani said...

What your mom said and Hugs

Jose said...

Powerful post SeƱor Manuel, is adoption out of the question? My oldest grand daughter is adopted and she is a joy to have around. when she was a baby all she wanted was to be with grandpa.

laura b. said...

I'm with everyone else, you will see results. There is no way you couldn't upping your activity level like that.
You sure have a lot of stuff coming up! Enjoy it all, MrManuel :-)

Sal said...

Upon reading laura b's comment hoping you'll see results because you are "upping your activity level", I thought she was talking about you two becoming parents. I laughed when I realized she was talking about the Wii!

Sebastien Millon said...

I'm sad to hear that, I KNOW you would make an awesome father!