Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Early Morning Telephone Call

I was up this morning at 615am, which is no big deal, since I work tonight and will nap at some point today anyway. So I got up, fed and pottied the dogs, ate breakfast and checked e-mail/played on the computer until 700am, when I woke Manuel with a kiss to the forehead and the morning paper. When he got up to get ready for his day at work, I went back to the computer.

At 725am the telephone rang. Normally when it rings at that time, it is either my mom or step-mom calling, thinking I worked the night before and trying to catch me before I go to bed. I was sitting in the living room and when the ringing started, I looked up to where the phone usually is, but alas, it wasn't there. I stood up and looked around for it but still couldn't find it. I ran to the bedroom to answer the phone, and by the time I got there, the answering machine had picked up, so as the recording was going, I kept saying, "Hang on, hang on" to whoever was on the other end so they knew I was there and wouldn't hang up.

It was a good thing I couldn't find the phone and the answering machine recorded the whole conversation because it was entirely bizarre and what follows is a direct transcript I took by listening to the recorded conversation over and over again. The person calling had an VERY thick Indian accent and the words in parentheses are what I think he said.

Me: Ok, go ahead.
Him: Yes, Miss. Can I speak to Manuel?
Me: He's in the shower.
*pause*
Him: Ok...
Me: Who's calling?
Him: My name is (Satchel?) and I'm calling, uh, from the credit team at (paytroll?), ok?
*pause*
Me: And what is that?
Him: Well, this is regarding an online purchase that he made (out of a trite?), ok? What I will do is I'll just give him a call after 5 or 10 minutes, Alright? That ok?
Me: Ok, but, I mean, where are you calling from?
Him: I'm calling from United States.
Me: Well, I know United States but, I mean, it's 730 in the morning here.
*silence*
Him: (VERY quietly) Ok. I'm really sorry Ma'am.
Me: Ok.
Him (Still VERY quietly) Bye bye.

Yeah... Whatever online purchase Manuel made isn't important enough to require a telephone call at 730 in the morning.

Oh, and by the way, it is 845am right now, and he still hasn't called back. So much for that 5 to 10 minutes... I think I scared the crap out of him.

7 comments:

MrManuel said...

And by the way, I have NO idea what online purchase they are talking about. Maybe it was a sales call? Who knows....

Anonymous said...

Didn't you order a dvd collection?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

As it turns out, Manuel played with real money on a poker website, and since he made money, he wanted to cash out. The call was regarding that - they had to confirm his identity before they gave him the money - which I appreciate, better give the real him his money than someone pretending to be him. But still, was it important enough to call at 730 in the morning?!

Anonymous said...

OK - worse than the phone call - stop playing for real money - at home is enough.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Mom, come on! Do you really think I'd let him play for our own money?! It was a promotion where the site gave him $75 and he had to play 1000 hands. So he's playing with their money, not ours. And anways, he's up to $137, so I'm gonna let him continue!

Anonymous said...

Next thing you know, somebody will have stolen your identity! Watch out!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Allison - Unfortunately, I've been there and done that. Twice.