Tuesday, June 27, 2006

My Unlovely Lady Lumps

What the heck? Like I haven't has enough stress lately...

Saturday, as I was driving home from the Bay Area and the whole GG thing, every bump in the road that I hit sent pain through my left breast. Every time I moved my left arm and hit my boob, it hurt. I mentioned it to Manuel, but didn't make a big deal of it.

Then Sunday night, laying in bed, my boob started hurting again, so I checked it out. Yeah, I found a lump. When I squeezed it, it seemed to pop. I made Manuel feel and he felt it too. He got fairly alarmed and encouraged me to make an appointment to see the doctor.

Which I did first thing Monday. My appointment was for the next day, Tuesday at 10am. And of course, my breast hurt off and on all day Monday.

So today I went for my appointment today and naturally, no pain. It never fails - whatever ails you enough to go to the doctor goes away the second you sit on that exam table.

She felt around, the "good" boob first, to get a baseline. Then onto the "bad" boob. She said she felt some fibrous tissue that didn't really concern her. As she was feeling though, it hurt, so I mentioned it, and she dug a little deeper.

And as she dug, I saw her face change. She got quiet, and looked like she was concentrating. Sure enough, she said she felt a lump (not the one I had felt) and wants me to get an ultrasound. She said it's nothing to be seriously worried about - we'll wait to see what the ultrasound says - and better to be safe than sorry. She also had me make an appointment for 2 months so she can check and see if things are better, the same, or, god forbid, worse.

So yeah, I'm a little worried. My great grandmother (GG) had breast cancer and had to have a mastectomy. I don't know about my grandmother, but I know my mom has had breast issues and has had to have a few biopsies.

So I have lady lumps, but not the lovely kind. Good thoughts, please...

13 comments:

Rhys said...

Best of luck

I'm currently approaching the end of a two month waiting period between appointments in hospitals. It's one of the worst feelings there is.

Good thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Oh sweetie! Only good thoughts here. Prayers and positive energy. Please keep us up to date. Love you bunches. :-)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a cyst! I'll bet that's what it is, but it's good that you making sure.

Hang in there.

Anonymous said...

I agree with the cyst theory. After I had Noah, I developed a really bad one in my left breast. I had to change up bras and everything just to relive some of the pain. Try a lot of Motrin... Probably not the best thing, but it sure did help. Sending good vibes your way.

Anonymous said...

It could be what Cassie had. I don't know exactly what she felt but she and I kept insisting with the doctor and look where it ended up. A lump the size of a golf ball. Even the doctor was surprised and glad he decided to do the surgery. She was oly 16-17. Grandma had these lumps as well. Could be the same, could be something different - the important thing is that you felt them, went to the doctor, and are now under doctor care. Love ya lots - but I hate finding out about it this way and not a call. You know us! We're not alarmist but we do care and stick together. Let me know if you need me for anything. Rhys - I'm sending good thoughts your way as well.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I really appreciate all the positive thoughts. Good thoughts make good things happen. The doctor said she didn't think it was anything to worry about, but I'm still nervous. We'll keep you updated.

Mom- I understand about the phone call, but how weird would that have been: "Ring ring. Hello? Hi, I have a lump in my boob." Just doesn't lend itself to a phone converstaion...

Anonymous said...

Hey Jess,
I know exactly what feelings you are going through right now. I knew my lump was there though long before I told anyone about it. I was only 16 I didn't think anything was seriously wrong. I'm glad I finally did go to the doctors though because the pain got worse and worse. But be prepared to be making a lot of visits to the doctors and to get ultrasounds. Go to the Breast Imaging Center they are so good there. I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers and if you need anyone to talk to you can always call me because I know exactly what you are going through. I love you big sis and keep good thoughts!

Anonymous said...

Maybe weird for you but that is what family is for. I love you and you know you can always call me for anything, no matter how weird you think it is. I'm a mom - I've heard everything!!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Thanks again for your love and support, guys. It makes me feel better. And if anything like this happens again (I hope not!) I promise to tell you over the phone or in person.

Unknown said...

Hope its not breast cancer. But if it is, you're in no real danger because you caught it early.

Anonymous said...

It will be alright. I'll send you good thoughts! HHmmmm!

Battlerocker said...

I hope all is well. Try not to worry too much.

alphabitch said...

ouch! do take care.