Monday, June 19, 2006

Let's look at those World Cup predictions...

Each team has played 2 games now and the final group games for each team start tomorrow. Let's review and look at my predictions...

Group A
I said it would be Germany, Poland, Ecuador, Costa Rica. Well, I was wrong here. Especially about Poland. They have stunk it up. They play Costa Rica tomorrow in a game that is strictly for pride. Germany and Ecuador tomorrow should be fun. Ecuador is actually in first on goal differential and only needs a tie to win the group. How crazy would that be? But you know what, Ecuador has played pretty good. Germany has been ok, but will need to step it up in the knockout stages. I predict a 2-1 German win tomorrow with Germany and Ecuador finishing 1-2 in the group.

Group B
I think the biggest surprises have been the heart of Trinidad and Tobago and the difficulty that England has had in scoring. With England/Sweden and T&T/Paraguay tomorrow, there is still a little doubt in the air. England has already advanced. They move to second though if Sweden beats them. T&T can squeeze past Sweden for second if England beats Sweden, T&T beat Paraguay, and T&T make up the minus three goal differential. I would love to see T&T advance because of how hard they have played. It is a longshot though. I see Sweden and England drawing making the other game pointless. England and Sweden go one-two in the group as I predicted.

Group C
Ivory Coast has played well, but Argentina and Holland have been the class of the group. They have won both their games and now play each other for control of the group. Because of goal differential, Argentina wins the group with a draw. I still predict a 2-1 win by Argentina making Argentina and Holland go 1-2 in the group as I precited...

Group D
Well, it SHOULD end up Portugal and Mexico. Portugal has looked ok, while Mexico looks lost without Borgetti. Unless Mexico loses big to Portugal in the last game while Angola beats Iran by a bunch, it should be Portugal and Mexico going 1-2. Mexico can get first in thr group if they beat Portugal, but I don't see that happening. My predictions should remain correct.

Group E
Well, after that gutty tie by the US against Italy and the upset win by Ghana over the Czechs, I actually think the US will advance. As you may know, they have to beat Ghana and have Italy beat the Czechs. There are other scenarios possible, but they are LONGSHOTS. Yes, I see the US doing it. Italy and USA go 1-2 like I predicted...

Group F
Blah, blah, Brazil is going to win this group. What will be interesting is the fight for second place. Australia needs just a tie against Croatia while Croatia advances if they can beat Australia. Australia has been a pleasant surprise while Croatia has been so-so. I don't see Australia letting down now. The game will end in a tie making Australia the second place team to the Brazilians. I thought it would be Croatia, but I think I'll be wrong here. Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, OY OY OY!!

Group G
The biggest surprise has been how bad France has looked again. However, they play Togo last while the two teams ahead of them have to play each other. If France wins and Switzerland and South Korea doesn't end in a tie, France will go on. They can even go on if that game ends in a tie and France wins by two goals. There are a lot of options. Therefore, I see Switzerland and South Korea drawing, with France beating Togo by two goals. Switzerland gets first and France gets second. Just the reverse of what I predicted, but the right two teams...

Group H
Despite being rocked 4-0 by Spain, Ukraine is still the second best team in this group. Both will win their matches against Saudi Arabia and Tunisia respectively making Spain and Ukraine go 1-2 as predicted.

I will make my predictions for the second round on Friday. Thank you to those who got this far. I had pictures for all these groups, but they aren't loading for some reason...damnit...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the prediction updates. I guess I'm your only soccer fan dear! But keep it coming anyway! Love that soccer!!!!!