Wednesday, June 14, 2006

I HATE YOU!!!

There is this doctor at work who, I think intentionally, gives me a bad time. Every time I speak with her on the telephone it is a battle. I can't remember every single instance, but for example, she has interrupted my report then accused me of not giving her all of the information. And last night, the following exchange occurred. For the sake of anonymity, we'll call the doctor Dr. A (and yes, Mom, she's taken care of you...)

Background: I had a patient with a bad rash and the skin had broken open and was causing the patient a great deal of discomfort. Being the good nurse I am, I called Dr. A.

*ring ring*
Dr. A: (speaker phone) Hello?
Me: Dr. A? (it didn't sound like her)
*silence*
Me: Hello?
Dr. A: Yeeeessss...
Me: It's Jessica from San Juan. I'm calling about (patient) who has a rash on her (location) that...

At this point she interrupts me and tells me what medicines to give her, which is cool, but I feel it is important to give her all the information and let her know that the skin is broken (which I was about to do before she interrupted me). So I tell her.

Dr. A: Ok... Give her the Diflucan and Neosporin like I told you.
Me: Ok, can you tell me how the Diflucan comes? Milligrams and all?
Dr. A: No.
*silence*
Me: Well, I don't know how it comes, Dr. A.
Dr. A. *sighs* 150 mg.
Me: Ok, how often? (There are always 4 things you need for a correct medication order: 1) the drug 2) the dose 3) how to give it 4) how often to give it)
*silence*
Dr. A: (very patronizing) Just once.

When I hung up I honestly was on the verge of tears from anger because speaking to a doctor and advocating for your patient's safety and comfort should not be that difficult. I should not be given a bad time, harassed or spoken to like I'm a 5 year old retard for doing my job. If it was only once that this happened, I could let it go, but every time I speak to her on the telephone, without fail, I hang up pissed off because she does something like this.

A wise woman at work said that I'm probably especially sensitive to it because I go into the call with her on the defensive. And that makes sense - if she's treated me like crap every phone conversation we've had before, why wouldn't I be prepared for more? But also, in so doing, it's like I'm looking for it, thus more sensitive when it does happen. It makes sense...

But it doesn't make it right. Whatever I did to piss her off or get on her bad side, I wish I could take back because it is a horrible feeling to be spoken down to/harassed/belittled for doing your job.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a bitch. It's that simple. She enjoys her power over you. She is an abusive person. I don't know what you can do to protect yourself because it is her problem not yours. BIG HUGS!

Anonymous said...

Man! What a bitch! I wish you could kick her ass!!!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

And you know what's sad? I'm not the only one at work who feels this way about her...

Anonymous said...

Well, you've known my feelings about her all along as well. I hate her but don't haven't changed doctors because I hate to have to look for a new one. That might be the last straw. I have seen her treat her people in the office just the same. It is her - not you, and I'm pissed!

Anonymous said...

I hope you let her know why you are changing doctors. Confront her and make her aware that she makes you uncomfortable. She needs to know. Also, send her a letter of dismissal and copy her supervisor. I've seen people treating their employees bad and I always make eye contact and let them know I think they are jerks just with a stern look.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Mom - I TOTALLY agree with Nani that if you do change doctors, you should tell her why. (But if you mention me I will kick your ass!) And fear not, I can recommend a few FANTASTIC doctors.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure Nana would never tell what the last straw was for discharging this bitch doctor.

And I agree with Jenn; I wish you could just kick her ass! (I'll do it!)

Don't take it from her anymore! Would you get in trouble for telling her how you are feeling, as if she was just another person? Can you speak to her boss? Why, why, why do people treat nurses(angels) like crap?!

Oh, just let me kick her ass!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

You have to understand that the vast majority of the doctors I work with, and Dr. A. is definetly one of them, have this idea that they are ABOVE the nurses - our superiors rather than our teammates or coworkers. My telling her on a personal level would never work because she's the kind of person that would turn it around on me, make it my fault, make it like I'm being too sensitive. She has no clue...

And as for her boss... Who is her boss? I guess the chief of OB, who is not any better than she is, so that wouldn't go over well. I could write her up, but really, that wasn't bad enough to write her up for. And usually nothing ever happens when we write the doctors up (and the one time something did come of it, the doctor treated me like crap the next time I worked with him, so was it really worth it? I think I may have posted about this incident too. I'll look back and if I did, I'll tell you where it is so you can read it)

I guess I just have to consider the source, take it with a grain of salt, develop a thicker skin, and every other cliche you can think of when dealing with her and the other jerk doctors I work with. What else can I do?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yeah, I did write about it on 2/11, but it looks like everyone but Jennifer saw it.

Valkyrie said...

And people wonder why there is a shortage of nurses... seems like the answer is lack of respect.

However, I have more respect for nurses than I do for doctors. I'm funny like that, though.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Valkyrie - Although I do work with a lot of jerk doctors, some are actually pretty cool. It's 50/50: 50% of the time they are cool, 50% of the time they are jerks.
Thanks for your respect. It means a lot.
And there's a nurse I work with who sometimes wears a t-shirt to work that says: Need a doctor? Call a nurse!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

And in mid-2010, this doctor is EXACTLY the same!