Sunday, June 11, 2006

What many Americans wouldn't understand...


The first three days of the World cup are over and what a spectacular time it has been. There have been beautiful goals, hard play, and a few surprises. No surprise can top 0-0 tie that Trinidad and Tobago was able to get with Sweden. In fact, this may have been the best of the 8 games so far. Wait, a 0-0 tie is the best game you may ask? See, this is where American sports mentality comes in. One of the reasons that many in America hate soccer is that they feel it is too low scoring. They feel a game can't be exciting unless many goals/points are scored. But they are so wrong. Let's look at this game deeper. This was Trinidad's first game in their first ever World Cup. They were going up against a fairly strong team in Sweden. By all accounts, they were supposed to get blown out. Yet, with one half down, they were still at 0-0. Then 1 minute into the second half, a Trinidad player gets ejected and now Trinidad has to play the entire second half with one less player. So, they are inexperienced, playing a good team, and have one less player. Yet somehow, they were able to play their hearts out, giving it all on the field. The last 5 minutes, as they blocked shot after shot from a charging Sweden side were some of the most tense moments I have ever seen in a soccer game. When the ref finally blew the whistle, the players of Trinidad mobbed each other as if they had just won the World Cup. They had accomplished what nobody thought they could. It was straight out of a movie. Yet, American mentality will look at the final score and say that it had to be boring. Little do they know, the game had a storybook ending. Trinidad may lose their next two games, but they will probably return home as heroes for the shocker they were able to pull on a Saturday afternoon. Not bad for a "boring" 0-0 game.

3 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I watched that game with you and, knowing (and caring?) as little about soccer as I do, even I was able to recognize how exciting it was and how big of an upset T and T pulled. The faces of the fans in the stands told the whole story when the game was over - T and T fans were estatic and Sweeden fans looked like their mother just died.

I like to root for the underdog. Good for them.

Anonymous said...

Soccer is a wonderful sport and I love it - But... I love the WORLD CUP even more. We watched all weekend and it pained me to have to go to work this morning, being able to only watch the first half of the Austrailia/Japan match. As it turned out I hear that was the best of the three - go figure - the only one I didn't record. I know, I know, that is where TIVO would help but my point is that with the World Cup any match can be the best and most exciting The pride that the fans and players have for their country is unbelievable. The only thing better than watching these games is actually being there. I will never forget the experience of a World Cup match at Stanford. It was the best. I hope I will someday again be able to see a World Cup match in person. It is unbelievable!!

Anonymous said...

Heh?