Monday, August 06, 2007

Movie Reviews and an update

Yeah, I haven't posted in almost a week. I just seem to be so busy lately with my job and such, I can't find time to blog. I know I could make time, but after I work on the computer all day, I just want to get off the computer. I have plenty I could talk about too. I am going to make a strong effort this week. I have some fun pictures to post later and a few stories. We'll go with some movie reviews for the moment because I have 4 more and I don't want to fall behind there...

The Simpsons - I saw this a couple of weeks ago. As a lifelong Simpsons fan, I was excited for the film, but not ecstatic as the Simpsons has dropped off in the past few years. Thankfully, the movie ended up not disappointing and actually exceeded my expectations. It was basically just a long Simpsons episode, with a few racy parts thrown in(it WAS PG-13). If you like Simpsons, you'll be satisfied. 7.5 out of 10.











Alpha Dog - Wow, this movie totally caught me off guard with how good it was. This is a film based on a true story about the youngest man to ever be on the FBI 10 most Wanted List. This story about young drug dealers who think they are a lot bigger than they actually are turned out to be a great story. Now here is the even more unbelievable part - Justin Timberlake is in it and he does a really good job. Hell, I believed that he was the character and by the second half of the movie, I had completely erased my prejudice that he was just some pop singer who got the part because of his popularity. This movie comes highly recommended. 8.5 out of 10.










Ghost Rider - This was just about what I expected it would be. When this came out at the theaters, I didn't feel like seeing it despite me being a comic geek. It just didn't look that great. Then I heard from a few people that it actually wasn't that bad. I went in just looking to be entertained and I was. The story is decent, but I was more amazed with the special effects. It looked even better since we saw it on Blue Ray. The colors were amazing. Nic Cage was typical Nic Cage. If you like him, that should be good enough to make you enjoy the film. 7.0 out of 10.









Deja Vu - This movie was friggin' awesome! Great film with elements of sci-fi, action, mystery, and everything in between. This movie will keep you glued to the tv the whole time. There is not one dull moment and I will definitely be buying this movie eventually. Denzel was great as always. You really can't go wrong with a film produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and directed by Tony Scott. It worked when these two collaborated before - see Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State. Rent this movie! It's a trip! 9.5 out of 10.

8 comments:

Mom said...

Ilove your movie reviews. Good job!Keep posting - I miss them!

Anonymous said...

Glad to see a post finally. I check every day. Ask Jessica to write something soon. :-)
Well, based on your review I will rent Alpha Dog. We bought Flame Boy AKA Ghost Rider and agree it is a good enjoyable movie though a few scenes scared me a little. I really like Deja Vu. That kind of stuff intrigues me.

laura b. said...

I am planning to see The Simpsons, I think. I also really wanted to see Alpha Dog, but haven't yet.

Tara said...

The special effects were my favorite part of "Ghost Rider". It's not a thinking movie, it's just fun to watch, and perhaps roll your eyes at some of the script.

Good to hear about "The Simpsons", I want to see it.

Anonymous said...

The Simsons is up there and I am hoping to catch it soon. I was waiting for the crowds to dwindle so I could actually enjoy a movie out. Thanks sir.

Randi said...

I miss ya, Manuel. :)

Anonymous said...

Mike and I have seen The Simpsons, Deja Vu and Alpha Dog.
I guess one of our friends knew someone who was involved with the real drug dealers in Alpha Dog or they knew the young kid who was killed I can't remember, I think it was a family member or something.
We liked all three movies.

MrManuel said...

Mom - I'll do what I can!

Nani - I hope you like Alpha Dog

LB - Two good choices

Tara - Yeah, but it is ok to roll eyes sometimes

Evil - Hope you get to see it soon

Randi - I will try to post as much as I can

Cass - Glad you got to see all three of those. Your boss must be gone - you're posting!