Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Asshole

So today, I had scheduled a pickup of TONS of old clothes with the Sacramento Association for the Retarded. Jessica and I cleaned out our closets and had a huge pile of clothes we didn't want anymore. When I talked to the people for pickup, I asked if I could have them in a pile outside since I didn't really have big trash bags to put them in. They said it was ok. All I have are the bags that fit in our trash can under the sink. Those aren't that big.

So right now, the door knocks and I answer it:

Me: Hello

Ass: We can't take those like that.

Me: When I called, they told me it was ok since I didn't have big enough bags.

Ass: No, they didn't tell you that.

(OK, so excuse me. Were you on the phone with me)

Me: I guess I have some bags they could fit in.

Ass: Well, they go in there or we aren't taking this!

(Listen here, cock knocker, I am donating clothes to you! You don't try to threaten me like that. I almost, ALMOST, said to forget it and I would call some other worthy non-asshole charity. I guess what kept me from doing it was guilt over telling a charity that I have stuff for them and then take it back. I didn't want to punish the charity because of one man's asshole-ishness.)

Me: Fine, let me open the garage and I will be right out with the bags.

Ass: ...

So I go outside with the bags and start filling the bags, wondering if he is going to get out of the car and help. Luckily, he did because if he hadn't, I had made up my mind to finally say forget it. 8 or 9 bags later, we were done.

Me: Ok, so you got it from here?

Ass: Got it.

Me: Ok, then, thanks.

Ass: ...

So, I called the number on the receipt and complained about him. They said it would get back to his supervisor. They apologized and said they hope it doesn't prevent me from doing future donations.

Me: Don't count on it.

If you live in the Sacramento area, help me boycott the Sacramento ASSociation for the Retarded. There are plenty of other worthwhile charities that need out help.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those guys are usually ex-cons. You are lucky he didn't do more than piss you off with attitude.

Anonymous said...

There is usually only the one that I donate too. They take everything. I tried Goodwill once to donate a sofa and they only wanted it if it was in good condition. Well. why would I be donating it if it was???

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a jerk. Though, I hate to see the beneficiaries of a charity hurt because the hired help are assholes. But you're probably right about there being plenty of others.

Jose said...

I always wonder if the drivers have a side business, the see the stuff first and have a chance to "pocket" it first if they like it or can sell it. Some not all but some of those guys don't have scruples.

MrManuel said...

Ex cons? I had no idea. Creepy!

LaChou - My bag?

Mom - Goodwill is actually pretty picky

BR - I an think of a couple of others in my area so it is ok

Jose - Wow, good point! I never thought of that.

Anonymous said...

I understand your anger! Why should you be berated when you're doing something nice. Nonetheless, I try and think of the people who will hopefully benefit, and less about the people working for the organization, but it all kinda depends.

Crazy Bitch said...

Maybe that guy was retarded!