Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Forever taking the SAT's

I guess I wonder about things way too much. That is usually why I never sit down and complete one thought because I have already moved onto the next random idea by the time I document my original light bulb. That is my lame excuse for not doing anything for the past 2 months or so. I have sooo much free time and what do I do with it all? Usually nothing productive. That said, here is my one moment of literary genius for the day.

I voted yesterday. Got my little sticker and filled in the tiny bubbles. As I did this I realized something. Perhaps not an original thought or even a mantra or whatnot.

Isn't life just a series of Mad Libs and Multiple Choice Tests?????

Today everyone will wake up and make a choice. Shower or no shower? Then it will continue. Cereal or oatmeal? Ya see what I mean? My point being that as ordinary as your life can be on a day to day basis it is always different. ALWAYS. As ordinary as these choices are they will effect everything you do for the day. One decision leads to the next question and you will arrive at your answer for that next question based upon what you did prior to that moment. Within all these multiple choice pop quizzes are the mad libs. The template questions that we all get every single day. How do you fill in the blanks with those classic, "Well my day is going ______."

So you get my drift, right? I guess I think of life in this matter cause I wonder sometimes if I had chosen bubble B instead of A where would I be? I think for the most part that kind of thinking comes from dissatisfaction with the results of what I actually did choose. Otherwise why would I be looking back. Maybe instead of wanting to change past decisions I should worry about the new ones I am about to make today. Makes that whole life is a test kinda thing more of a reality to me I suppose. Ya know I have no clever way to end this, so just hi to all my fans out there and make sure you stay alert. The next pop quiz is on it's way ASAP. Rabble Rock

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you said is very true, but I just never realized it or looked at it like that before. Now that you spotlight it though it's true. Our lives are just a bunch of quizzes and mad libs. Like this morning I made the choice of makeup or no makeup....well I decided no makeup because I felt too sick to really care what I looked like.
As always good post Rich. Your posts always inspires me in some way or another.

Anonymous said...

I've thought of that before... The thing it makes me think about somewhat is destiny. Kind of mind boggling if you really think about it, maybe every decision is already predetermined by who you are and how you think.

That's as far as I get get, and then my brain short circuits and I can go back to watching Sesame Street.

Anonymous said...

I believe we all ask this question sometime in our lives. What do we have control of? Sebastien's answer is very interesting. I had never thought about pre-destination determined by who we are and how we think. I don't believe in fate though. I think we have choices every day, all day long and sometimes those decisions change how we think. We make our lives what they are through our free will and we have to go on from there. Looking back with longing or regret is a waste of time. Move on. Make a change. Do what you want to do or what you need to do to be happy. Your future is yours to shape. It is in your hands. "No fate but what you make." Get on with it.

MrManuel said...

Everyday is simply a series of choices. You are right. But I try not to look back and say, "What if" too often. It would drive me crazy. As in, what would happen if I told Rich it was a no-no to have an apostrophe in SATs?

Anonymous said...

Deal...or No Deal??

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Very good, thought provoking post, Rich, as usual.

I'm 50-50 on what I think. Destiny? Choices? Nobody knows for sure. I do believe it's not worth worrying too much about the future - there's not really that much you can do to change it. We're not that powerful that our choices make that much of a difference. Yeah, we decide to go to school and make something of ourselves or not, but ultimately, what will be will be.

I am proud to say that I have very few regrets in my life - only one that I can think of at the moment, in fact. I try to live my life the best that I can, to be the best person I can, to treat people the best I can. If you live like that, knowing you always did the best you could in the given moment or situation, what could you have to regret?

Anonymous said...

Thank God it's not a Choose Your Own Adventure book. Those things drove me crazy! As soon as I died the terrible death I would always 2nd guess my choices and try to see if I stayed alive any longer. I threw out all those books 15 years ago! As long as we periodically examine the choices we have made and the place we are in life, I think we are doing pretty good. Would I still be where I am if I hadn't made the same choices? Who knows? It will just drive you crazy. Hence - why I no longer own Choose Your Own Adventure books!

Anonymous said...

Wow - good post and great thoughts from everybody. I like your closing sentence glo - way to put a little movie quote in there but it is true.