Monday, February 19, 2007

Best Picture Reviews

Ok, we just got done seeing the last of all the the Best Picture nominees, so here are our reviews. I'll (Manuel) go first, ranking them from my favorite to my least favorite. I will try to keep spoilers to the absolute minimum in case you plan on seeing some of these films.

#1 - The Departed - This was the only movie that I saw prior to the nominations coming out and I loved it. After seeing all the movies, this is my favorite. I had a really hard time deciding between this movie and the next movie, but this one came out on top because I enjoyed it more. It really is our kind of movie. Great acting, great story, lots of drama, and a good amount of comedic moments thrown in. It was a gangster/mafia/crime drama at its finest. Every actor did an exceptional job and it keeps you on the edge of your seat from start to finish.

#2 - Letters From Iwo Jima - I had a hard time deciding if this would be my #1 movie or not. Truth be told, this was an even better movie than The Departed. This movie is outstanding. But, I enjoyed The Departed a little more. There is really nothing about this movie that is bad except for the fact that it is not uplifting in the least. This movie deserves the award more than The Departed. It is spectacular. I just don't think I could watch it over and over. If it wins, I won't be disappointed at all.

#3 - Little Miss Sunshine - This movie is a riot. I don't enjoy comedies this much that often. The family all does a spectacular acting job and it has some really great feel good moments. I wouldn't really consider this an Oscar type movie, but sometimes comedies get their due and get nominated - like The Full Monty or Sideways. Does this deserve to win over The Departed or Iwo Jima? No. But if it ended up winning, I wouldn't be disappointed.

#4 - Babel - This movie was decent. It had a good story and some of the acting was extraordinary. However, I felt that some parts could be cut out and were unnecessary to the story. It wasn't bad by any means. I just don't think I got as emotionally attached as I was supposed to. It is worth at least one viewing. I appreciate the hard work that had to go into making a movie of this caliber, but despite all of that, I didn't think a lot of it was extraordinary. Regardless of my feelings, this is the movie that I think is going to end up winning. It's an Oscar type movie, just not for me.

#5 - The Queen - This is ranked last, but I actually liked this movie. In fact, I saw it with three females and liked it the best out of all of us. I thought Helen Mirren did an excellent job, the story was very intriguing, and I was never bored. But it was just a movie. I don't think it was Oscar caliber. I would still recommend this movie to people as a decent little flick, but if it wins, it would be a travesty.

Now for Jessica's comments:

#1 - The Departed - This was our kind of movie - action, plot twists and turns, suspense, foul language, comedic relief. It was a great story with great acting. In fact, we own it, so that says something.

#2 - Little Miss Sunshine - The definition of a dysfunctional family - and I loved every second of it! The story was good, the acting was good, I laughed very hard in some parts, I cared about the characters. It was a feel good movie. Not a typical Oscar Best Picture nomination, but enjoyable nonetheless.

#3 - Letters From Iwo Jima - Of all of the nominees, this is the best movie. Why is it #3 then? I can recognize a well made film but like lesser films better, if that makes sense. The story was good but it was very depressing. Very good, but very emotionally taxing.

#4 - Babel - I can appreciate the undertaking it must have taken to make this movie. I liked the story of the housekeeper and the children the best. I agree there was one storyline that was completely unnecessary. I'm just a little tired of seeing the bad things people do to each other. It was good, but too similar to Crash, which won Best Picture last year.

#5 - The Queen - I liked this movie, it was entertaining, but it gets 5th place because I just didn't care. When Princess Diana died, I didn't care much about it then, and I still don't care now. I thought it was interesting, but who knows how much of it was true?

I think Babel will win, but I would be pleasantly surprised if The Departed or Little Miss Sunshine won. I would not be disappointed if Letters From Iwo Jima won, because it is an extremely well made film. I would be disappointed if The Queen won. We'll see what happens on the 25th!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Well it will definitely be interesting to see what happens on Sunday. I love the Oscars! It will be fun watching and celebrating with you guys.

Rhys said...

Huzzah! At last I've met some Americans who don't care about Princess Diana!

There was this web poll on bbc.co.uk to decide the name of our new local shopping centre, and a lot of your nation hijacked it and named it "The Princess Diana Memorial Shopping Centre". :S

Jose said...

I'm a blockbuster kinda guy as opposed to an Oscar guy. To me Oscar nominees are just kinda boring. I however love Clint Eastwood both as an actor and director.

I hear Little Miss Sunshine is a good movie.

Sebastien Millon said...

Ok, I gotta see the Departed, need to need to, driving me crazy!!! Letters from Iwo Jima sounded really good too, heard the lady who wrote the script on NPR the other day. Probably check out Babel too.

I liked Little Miss Sunshine, that was a good one.

Anonymous said...

I'm looking forward to the Oscars. I love them and have seen them all since I was born.
Thanks to both of you for your reviews.
I've only seen The Departed and Sunshine. I LOVE The Departed and hope it wins.I'm sure we'll see the others sooner or later.
I want to see the Queen. I was devastated when Diana died. :-(