Thursday, February 22, 2007

Tattoo Stories

I got my first tattoo about a year after I graduated high school – it was probably 1997 and I was 19 years old. The story behind it? I wanted a tattoo, but I wanted something original. I didn’t want a butterfly or a flower or any other stereotypical girly-type tattoo (no offense meant toward anyone who has a tattoo like that – it’s just not me.) I was at the tattoo place one night, flipping through the thousands of suggestions they have and I saw it - completely original and completely me - eggs and bacon in a happy face. I love to smile and be happy, I love food – it was a perfect combination of the two, and I probably safe to assume nobody else had it. So I had it done on the outside of my right ankle, and there it still sits. Sometimes it even surprises me when I see it because I forget it’s there, but it makes me smile each time I see it.

I have the urge to get another one, this time on the top of my left foot. I don’t want anything that takes up the entire top of my foot; probably no more than 2 inches square, right above my pinkie toe area. This time my dilemma is different though. I have 3 ideas but cannot decide which one to get. This is where you guys come in – please help me decide which should be my next tattoo.

Choice #1 – Chinese/Japanese symbol for “laughter”
Pros: I like this because laughter is very important to me. I like to do it and try to do it often. I really believe it is good for your health.
Cons: It seems lots of people are doing Chinese/Japanese symbols lately. I don’t want to do it because it’s a “fad” or it’s “popular.” Also, with it being on my foot, do I orient it so that I see it the correct way, or so that someone looking at me sees it the right way?





Choice #2 – Zodiac sign (Pisces)
Pros: I like this because not only do I think the symbol looks cool, but it’s what I am – a Pisces. My sign will never change. Plus, it's the same either way you turn it.
Cons: It seems lots of people have these as tattoos.




Choice #3 – Dog paw print
Pros: I am very much a dog person. I have loved each dog I have owned with all of my heart. I don’t see this changing – I plan to always own a dog and to always love it.
Cons: We have a friend who has this exact tattoo on her foot – it’s how I got the idea. We don’t see her often, so it’s unlikely she would see it and know that I stole it from her.



There are my options. Please let me know what you think. Thank you in advance for your input - let the voting commence!

7 comments:

Jose said...

My daughter wants a tattoo, her husband and I totally oppose it. I'm a biker but have stayed free of tattoos, she tells me that I am a wannabe biker because I don't have one. Where I work almost every woman have a tatoo, some big some small but none of the guys have one, there's about 60 people in our work place. I don't like tattoes, specially on women and yet I love watching Miami Ink go figure. Good luck with your choice.

Anonymous said...

I had never been a fan of tatoos but when I saw yours, years ago, I kind of changed my mind. I had associated tatoos with trashy people and you are definately not trashy. I like your outlook and so if you get another, I vote for the chinese characters and face them toward you. It's your tatoo so you should read it from your viewpoint. Hugs.

Sebastien Millon said...

I like #2. It's the one that makes the most sense. I've really been getting into tattoes lately... although I don't have any and probably won't get one.

Do you have any friends who are artists, I always like the idea of either designing my own or having a good friend design something specifically for me.

Crazy Bitch said...

I don't know about the chinese writing thing.

I like the dog foot print on your foot. It's exactly where a dog could put it's foot, but I thought it might also be nice near to your heart.

I like the Picean symbol, but if it was me, I would use a picture of two Koi fish in the yin and yang position. I am Libra, and always thought that if I got a tattoo of it, it would be a picture of a beautiful woman holding a scale with the Libra symbol on a her necklace.

Jose: I don't have any tattoos and I also love watching Miami Ink!

Mom said...

I vote for the Pisces symbol. I think it looks the best. The chinese thing is way overdone and even though you do love dogs and like you say will always either have one or hold them dear to your heart - you are a Pisces! Maybe Cassie will go get one with you - she wants another!!

Anonymous said...

Sorry late post, I've been out of town. I say, it's for you. Tired, trendy... who cares. Get what you want, not what you think people will like. You will see it more than anyone else. I say, if you're putting it on your foot... get a "Pig Pen" from Charlie Brown.

Anonymous said...

OMG I love your tattoo! When I saw I thought "wakey wakey, eggs and bakey"...OK, so I don't think there is any official spelling for wakey and bakey; it's the best I got! But I love the tattoo - totally cute. I'm actually designing a dog paw tattoo for myself and in the middle will be my hubby's initials and my 2 dogs. It's going to be girly - pink or blue fill-in with a curly script. I say go for the paw! Chinese writing is pretentious and zodiac signs are...well, dull. If you really want your zodiac sign then make it really original; like a really cool and colorful cartoon fish. I can tell you're up for it, from the breakfast greeting. Have fun with this one!!