Saturday, February 03, 2007

The Walking Dead


Recently, I started reading a series of comics called The Walking Dead. The series, done in black and white except for the covers, is brilliant. To an outsider, it looks like a basic zombie story: something happens to turn most of the population into zombies and the rest of the people have to struggle to survive. I started reading it because I love zombies. However, as I got farther and farther into each comic, I realized just how good the story really is. Yes, there are zombies in the story, but the core of the story is the human interactions between all the suvivors. The zombie infestation is solely the backstory. The main story is how a small group of suvivors band together to not only fight zombies, but create a new society. The results are not always pleasant. Not only is this easily one of the best comic series I have ever read, this is one of the best stories I have read/seen/heard. Ever. So far there have been 34 issues released and I could not stop reading them. Comic after comic had to be finished. Not that I am caught up, it is absolute torture waiting for the next issue to come out. Think of your favorite show ending with a cliffhanger every episode and then having to wait for a month for the next show every time. This series comes highly recommended. You can get collections of the comic in trade paperbacks, collecting 6 issues at a time. Also, the first 24 issues were recently released in a nice hardcover edition. Maybe you can even check it out from your local library. I couldn't recommend this series any more highly.


Today when I was at the gym, there was a couple in front of me using the bicycles. Normal, except for the fact that they were pedaling slowly..........and drinking there huge cups of Starbucks coffee. Nice...

8 comments:

Mom said...

That series sounds good - Keep me posted. At least that couple went to the gym. More than I can say for myself; but, my house is clean!!!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

The first few issues I've read of the comic ARE good. I can't wait to read more - not only because it's interesting, but because Manuel rubs my back while I read them!

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Starbucks and the gym.... We have this super high maintenance customer come in every morning on her way home from the gym. She orders a venti (large) non-fat vanilla latte. I swear that even if she did cardio for a hour there is no way she will break even. Little tip for dieting Starbuckians: get coffee and add non-fat milk and sugar free vanilla to it. It is surprisingly good. You also get your caffeine and sweet-tooth kick and you don't have to work out for another hour to work it off. Sorry for this... a bit burned out on customer service lately. =)

Jose said...

Can I switch the lattes for a couple of Coronas instead?

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I'm with you, Jose! I don't go to Starbucks often at all, so when I do, I don't know what they call small, medium and large, so I always order "small," "medium," or "large." I always get looks, but I kinda like it - rage against the machine, you know? Screw your trendy terms - tall, grande and venti. Who ever heard of a tall being a small?! (No offense, Kelly!)

Crazy Bitch said...

I just bought the entire Star Wars series in paperback! I know they aren't comics, but that's what I'm going to read next! They were only 6.99 a piece, and A New Hope through Return of the Jedi was put together into one book! I'm so excited! I just have to pull myself away from Guitar Hero!!

Sebastien Millon said...

I got to get to comic book store soon, all your posts on comics are really making want to read them! Specially this one, this sounds way cool!

MrManuel said...

mom - well, that is what is important

mrs - READ THEM!

kel - see, people are crazy with their Starbucks

Jose - absolutely my friend

mrs - yeah, those crazy size names

CB - Yes, not much is more addicting than Guitar Hero

Seb - Yeah, it is VERY good!