Saturday, November 26, 2005

R.I.P. Pat Morita 1932-2005


Wow, another death in the entertainment world that hits me hard. In fact, this one hurts even more. I mean, it's Mr. Miyagi for Christ's sake! And for some of you, he's always going to be Arnold from Happy Days. This guy just seemed to be so genuinely good, you wished he was your grandpa or someone else close like that. Maybe this one hurts so much because in the movies, he almost did remind me of my own grandpa. Same mannerisms and goofy humor. It's just a really sad time. I might have to watch my Karate Kid DVDs this week. I learned that Morita had spinal tuberculosis as a child and spent most of his life up until age 11 living in hospitals. Once he was finally better, and ready to live at home, he had to face more reality. He and his family were sent to a Japanese internment camp as it was WWII. He definitely overcame a lot to get where he ended up. So long Miyagi-san.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw it on the internet on Friday and gasped and got tears in my eyes. He reminded me of my Dad in many ways. I remember when he appeared at Arnold on Happy Days. What a delight! I was and am very sad to see him go. He has a special place in my heart. Go with the angels Mr Miyagi.

Anonymous said...

Mr. Miyagi will be missed very much. He holds a special place in our family's heart. I love Mr. Miyagi. He truly was a very genuine person.

Cassie and Mom