Sunday, November 27, 2005

What do you think of this?

I've been seeing lots of commercials on TV promoting the Army. In the commercials, they have a kid talking to the camera like it's a parent, and they're saying how they want to go into the military because (fill in the blank here), then the commercial encourages you to make the talk a 2 way street.

Now, this is actually a good commercial. I appreciate the people who do go into the military to help protect me and my rights and freedoms. Without them, who knows where we'd be. But this is the thing that bothers me about these commercials. I've seen 3 different ones so far, and in all of them, the kid is black. What are they trying to say? Are they recruiting blacks specifically, and for what reason? Why not make commercials with all nationalities - blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians? Does this sit funny with anybody else?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen the commercials. Hopefully, there are more with other nationalities represented. I agree with you...if the only commercials they made are with black kids, something is wrong. I hate to think why they are only showing black kids. I don't even want to speculate what it means.

MrManuel said...

I hate to say this, but I fully believe it is not an accident that there is only african american shown in those commercials. I think it is an obvious attempt to appeal to that ethnicity. It is like they are practically saying, "Hey, you can do something good with your life if you just join us." It is the same reason why they promote heavely in poor areas. They are trying to show a way out, while forgetting to mention all the risk that comes with joining. Is it a smart campaign? Absolutely. It is totally wrong? You bet it is.