Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Great America

We went to Great America with some friends yesterday. I hadn't been to Great America in probably 5 years or more. I have a friend who used to work there and for a few years I never had to pay to get in. And one time, she got us in after hours to ride a ride non-stop while she trained people how to operate it. THAT rocked!

Do you know how much it costs to get in? $51.99! Can you believe it?! It's a good thing we went with our friend who works with the CHP. He got tickets for $27, nearly half off.

We left our house at 745 yesterday morning at got to our friend's house in Woodland at 830. By the time everyone else got there and loaded everything up, we left for Great America about 920. It was a nice ride because they have a DVD played in their car. Granted, they also have kids so we watched an animated Star Wars movie, but at least the conversation was good. We got there slightly before 11, but by the time all the people and all their kids were ready to go, it was 1130. (Manuel and I were the only childless couple.)

Then we spent a ton of time at the photo opportunity at the entrance. And a ton of time at the bathrooms waiting for everyone to get pottied. I swore we would never get to the rides! (This was the only time I've ever questioned wanting kids, and even then it was in jest.)

Our friends suggested we go ahead without them, but we stayed, mostly out of politeness. As it turns out though, I'm glad we stayed with them because the more I got to know everyone, the more fun I had. Plus, I'm not as young as I used to be... I used to be able to ride roller coasters until the cows came home. Now, when the ride is over, I feel slightly nauseous and very dizzy. Staying with the slow-moving big crowd was perfect because by the time they were ready to ride another ride, my tummy had settled and my brain had stopped spinning.

And I was able to ride every ride I wanted to. Granted, there were 2 where the park employee had to squish me in so the belt latched, but at least I didn't have to leave because I was too fat! (I guess it's a good thing I've lost the 20+ pounds I have. Imagine if I hadn't...)

Plus, I got to spend the whole day with babies. My mom suggested holding babies to remind my body what it's all about. If it works and I get pregnant, I owe it all the Great America!

It was a hot day. Nothing like the heat in Sacramento, but being outside all day in the sun, it was hot. We played in the water a lot.

By the end of the day, when we left the park when it closed at 8, I felt disgusting. A day's worth of sweat, sunscreen, dirty ride water and a mild sunburn will do that to you.

We got home (to our house) a little after 11. I hopped my dirty ass into the shower. It felt good to be clean. I put gobs of lotion on my sunburned face and climbed into bed next to my already sleeping husband.

Life is good.


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, Great America! We took Jenn and Allison there when they were 9 and 10. I think we went again later but I can't remember.
Glad you had fun. Hugs and hopes for a wee little Valle someday.

Anonymous said...

Oh Yeah! Great America is fun, but I haven't been there since the last time Allison and I went. I think it was 1989. That was before babies. I couldn't go out after I had them (no money), but I've been thinking about taking all 3 of the kids by the end of summer. Maybe I will :)

Anonymous said...

Look at how cute you guys are! Great America IS fun. Jenn and I are hoping to take the kids before the end of the summer.

I can't go on lots of roller-coasters, anymore, either! Same thing happens to me! What the....?

Valkyrie said...

Great America? I've never heard of it.

Unknown said...

Never heard of Great America. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Great America is a local-ish amusement park with roller coasters and water rides. It's a fun time.

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»