Monday, July 03, 2006

Samba your way out of here....

Never have I been so happy to be wrong. I got an amazing three out of four predictions wrong for the World Cup quarterfinals, but I am still smiling. Why? We'll get to that game last.

Recap:
Germany v Argentina - I predicted Argentina would win, but I said that I wouldn't be surprised if Germany won. Well, Germany did win in penalty kicks and I am still not shocked. It was the battle of two good teams. Unfortunately for Argentina, it went to penalty kicks where Germany does not lose. They are like friggin' cyborgs. Robots. Cold Hearted. They just step up and get it done. Once it went to PKs, I knew it was over for Argentina.

Italy v Ukraine - Italy won as I predicted, but I thought it would be closer. What a dominating 3-0 performance.

England v Portugal - Sad to see England gone. Sad to see Beckham limp off like that in his last game being captain of England. Sad to see Rooney be a bonehead. Sad to see England still can't shoot PKs. Depressing. Oh well, guess my prediction was wrong.

Brazil v France - I picked Brazil. How happy am I that I was wrong? Let's just say I have now seen the game three times. From Henry's beautiful volley, to Zidane's artistry of the ball, to watching Brazil's heads down after a disappointing loss, this really made my World Cup. I have my favorites, I want them to win, but ultimately, I went into the World Cup knowing I would be happy as long as Brazil didin't win. Now they won't, and I know I will watch the rest of the Cup in peace.





























My semifinal predictions -
Italy v Germany - End of the line for Germany, I think. Italy wins 1-0
France v Portugal - France keeps going strong. France 2-1.


On a REALLY sad note, tragedy has struck at my house. I have a shelf in my office that was bolted into the studs in my wall. Unfortunately, it still managed to fall yesterday. Remember those comic statues I got for my birthday? Broken. Mostly just fingers and arms, but it was a DISASTER. I HOPE, PRAY, that glue will stick these guys back together. I LOVE these figures. It crushed me. I just got them. They were expensive. Who would have predicted the shelf would break? What could I have done? What do I do now?!?!?!?


Movie quote time:
1. "It was great. She showed me all the wallpaper and where everything is going to go. And then she brought me in the back room where she took all her clothes off."

2. "No! Not good! Stop! Not good! What are you doing? You burned all the food, the shade... the rum!"

3. "El, you really must try this because it's puerco pibil. It's a slow-roasted pork, nothing fancy. It just happens to be my favorite, and I order it with a tequila and lime in every dive I go to in this country. And honestly, that is the best it's ever been anywhere. In fact, it's too good. It's so good that when I'm finished, I'll pay my check, walk straight into the kitchen and shoot the cook. Because that's what I do. I restore the balance to this country. And that is what I would like from you right now. Help keep the balance by pulling the trigger."

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

First the movie quote - The only one I really know, and proud to say without cheating, is the third one. Johnny Depp in Once Upon a Time in Mexico.
Anyways - Hopefully Italy will win - Because you love your mom more!!! No really, I'm really hoping it will be Italy today! I'm devasted your figurines fell. I'm so sorry - I know how you love them so!

Anonymous said...

How did the shelf fall if it was bolted? So sorry your figurines broke. I hope some super glue will get them back together. I recognized the third quote but couldn't remember the movie. Now I remember. We need to watch that movie again. Love Johnny Depp.
Why didn't I get any acknowledgement for getting the last quotes. I got them all real early in the morning. Nothing! No one said a thing.
Smiles and Happy 4 o' Yuly.

Anonymous said...

It's true - my son loves me more - just kidding Jess - Sorry about the loss - I want you to know that your wonderful husband was rooting for you - and, as we discussed earlier, he loves us equally - just in different ways - as it should be - I love you too!!!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Whatever...





:-)

MrManuel said...

Oops...sorry Nani. I DIDN'T give you any acknowledgement when you got all three right last time. And quickly that is. Congrats, and sorry....

Anonymous said...

My dad, your Uncle Skip, has a way with apoxy. Give him a call about your figurines, I'm sure he can help!

MrManuel said...

Maybe it will work better than superglue. I'll give him a call if the glue doesn't pan out.

Anonymous said...

Finally, THANK YOU!
I was so proud of myself.
Yes, call Uncle Skip for help if the Super Glue doesn't help. I think he get glue at the Airplane Hobby Shop. That stuff has to hold.

Unknown said...

Not so sharp on movie quotes. Sorry about the figurines. Your World Cup predictions are about as good as mine.

Battlerocker said...

Not so good with the quotes. Good luck with the world cup. And glue fixes everything...:)

Anonymous said...

The second one is from Pirates of the Carribian (didn't spell that right)Is the first one from secret window?

Anonymous said...

I know that that the second one is from the pirates of the carribean anfd the third one is from once upon a time in mexico. It was weird I saw each scene in my head when I read the quote.

MrManuel said...

Alright, you guys get the answer now. Mom was the first one to get #3 right which was Once upon a time in Mexico. Jenn was the first to get #2 right whihc was from Pirates. #1, which nobody got right was from Edward Scissorhands....