Monday, July 31, 2006

Where were these shirts last week?

Last week I commented on how hot it has been. Well, some Japanese brainiacs have come up with the solution. Read:

"TOKYO, July 30 (UPI) -- Japanese technician Hiroshi Ichigaya has invented what he calls the world's first air-conditioned shirt.

While most shirts trap an individual's sweat -- keeping it from evaporating -- Ichigaya's invention creates circulating air to enhance evaporation through the use of two small battery-operated fans, the Mail on Sunday said.

All electrical parts of the shirt can be removed to allow for washing, and the shirt can even be powered by plugging it into a computer through a USB cord.

The shirt reportedly offers the wearer a pleasant breeze with one drawback -- when it's running, the shirt partially inflates.

"It's true the shirts make you look like a 'Michelin Man' but on factory floors people are more worried about being able to do their jobs in comfort," said Ichigaya -- referring to an advertising icon whose body is made up of auto tires.

Ichigaya's company, Kuchofuku, will distribute the shirts, which range in price from $93 for a blouse to just over $186 for a pair of air-conditioned overalls, the Mail said."

Hmmm....well, unless everyone starts wearing them, I can't say that I would wear this in public. Yeah, it probably brings relief, but it would be slightly embarassing. The fact that it makes you look a little plumper sure doesn't add to it's appeal. So, would anyone reading this try it out?






It might keep you cool, but it still does not prevent sunburns. A nasty sunburn is what I have right now. I went to a couple of soccer games with my dad yesterday and put sunscreen on. I didn't wear a hat because I hate wearing them when it is really hot and my head does nothing but sweat. Man, I wish I had just broke down and wore a hat. My scalp is covered in blisters now. They don't hurt, but if you rub my head, it feels like an unfinished, bumpy road. I know it is only going to get uglier from here. Crap...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might consider wearing the shirt at work. When it is 100 outside the warehouse is 115! Last week it was so hot when I came inside I was stumbling and unable to speak well until I cooled off and drank some water.
Next time wear a hat.

Anonymous said...

Oh great! Now you have to look funny in this shirt. It's all poofy. I guess it's worth it if your cool. Still, it must make a lot of noise. I don't think I could stand that.

MrManuel said...

Jenn, I didn't even think about the noise. Imagine walking around and hearing that humming sound everywhere you go. But, in a warehouse or something lound like where Nani works, you might not even hear the fan going. I don't know, I'm all for it if everyone else wears it. I wonder about the weight...

Anonymous said...

I don't care if it is a little noisy. But is it actually cool air or is it just air?
Guess you would have to be sure to wear deodorant or all that funky air would be poofing out around you. LOL!
Seriously, wear a hat next time. You don't want to get cancer on your head. Uncle Skip has a vented Indiana Jones type hat. It makes him look very cool... ;-)

MrManuel said...

I am a big advocate of sunscreen, I just never thought of my head getting burnt as it never has before. You learn something new everyday.

As for is it cool air or just air, who knows. Just blowing air would feel better than nothing. Maybe...

Anonymous said...

That shirt would probably be good for dad. He is miserable all day. I'm sure with the noise of the machinery you would not even hear a little fan running.Dad was miserable this morning but I didn't see any blisters. He did wear a hat but it sure didn't protect the rest of his body. Your cheeks were cute yesterday!

Anonymous said...

I am ALWAYS pissed off about people running around in the sun without hats! Especially bald dudes! Those guys are CONSTANTLY cooking their noggins! And in the winter, they don't wear warm hats, either! Come on, guys!

I get migraines when my head gets too hot, so it has become a pet peave of mine! Wear that hat, people!

As far as the shirt, it looks like it would help a lot of laboring folks! Looks stupid, though. Love those Japanese inventors!

Anonymous said...

oops - Allison just called you dumb Manuel - Are you going to let her get away with that???

Anonymous said...

DID NOT!!

Besides, I don't call people dumb, I call them silly:)