Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Coming Holy War

The Pope is an idiot. I was a little weary of him when he became Pope, but up until now, he has done little to raise my eyebrow. Truthfully, even though I am religious, I really didn't see who was Pope as having a huge impact on me. Last week might have started somethibg big though. In case you don't know what happened, let me give you the short version. Basically, last week, he was giving a lecture and he quoted a dialouge from the 1300s that said, "Show me just what Muhammad brought that was new and there you will find things only evil and inhuman, such as his command to spread by the sword the faith he preached."

It is not my intention to get into a discussion on religion here. He can believe all he wants about Islam. But he should NOT be making his thoughts on another religion in public. It will get out. It was just a lecture, but when the leader of the Christian faith says something about another religion, even if it is just quoting someone else, it is in poor judgement.

He later said he was sorry for angering Muslims, but many feel his apology was not enough. He says the thoughts were simply quoted, but not his opinion. So what has been the result? As expected, there have been protests in many Islamic areas including Palestine where American flags, German flags, and effigies of the Pope were burned. An Italian nun was shot in Somalia in what many are saying is a direct result of the comments.

And Al Qaeda? Well, you know they had a comment. In a statement, they have warned the Pope that the West is doomed. They have declared, "We will break up the cross, spill the liquor and impose head tax, then the only thing acceptable is a conversion (to Islam) or (killed by) the sword."

The Pope now has an upcoming trip to Turkey, a largely Muslim area, and many Turkish officials are saying he should be arrested for his comments once he steps foot there. Some are saying this trip will probably end up being cancelled due to the tensions. But what if he does go? What is an attempt on his life happens when he is there? What if it is successful? I don't even want to imagine what will happen in that scenario. Like I said before, I don't want to make comments on actual religion here, but I am still ashamed that he made these comments. I'll be wearliy paying attention to what happens next.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hadn't followed the news until this morning and I'm with you. He is our holy leader but I have never trusted or cared for him either. Like your dad says - we are heading towards a christian war and he is leading the way - Even if he says he didn't believe it and it was just a lecture he should have stated that first before the comment. Not after the fact. I'll be following this as well

Anonymous said...

Unbelievable. Being of German descent myself, I feel that electing a Pope from the elderly German generation was a big mistake - generally, with that generation, everything is either black or white. No grays, and that is what people and the world are all about, gray. Everything works on a continuum. This Pope, I believe, does not have the innate ability to know this. That is also what makes the Religious Right on the whole so dangerous: their certitude in their beliefs the coercion of these beliefs on others, and their inability to accept others' beliefs. It's a recipe for disaster. Besides, I seem to remember the Catholics being involved in Holy Wars themselves in the past...criticizing the Muslims seems to me like the pot calling the kettle black.
AAAarrrrrggghh! How I detest organized religion!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Bravo, Sonja, bravo!

Anonymous said...

I was appalled but not surprised to read of the Pope's error in judgement. I'm really afraid of the consequences. It will get much uglier and soon.

Jose said...

Only God is perfect, the Pope important as he is, is still human.

Anonymous said...

I had (seriously) considered looking into becoming a Catholic, but I think I'm going to hold off. For awhile.

MrManuel said...

Mom - Dad might be right.

Sonja - Organized religion does have its drawbacks at times.

Nani - Yes, it very well could!

Jose - Nobody has to be perfect, but they still should keep from saying comments that are clearly going to cause a stir.

Val - Wait till the next Pope. lol