Monday, September 04, 2006

Two Goodbyes

Sunday was a sad day as I had to say goodbye to two people in the category of more famous than me. One I will never see play professionally again while the other has left this world forever.

Today, Andre Agassi played the last match of his professional career as he lost in the third round of the US Open. He had said going in that this would be his last tournament of his career so I watched his three matches with anticipation of what would happen. Today, he finally played his last match and it was truly a sad event. He has always been my favorite tennis player and inspired me when I played on the varsity tennis team in high school. Always the emotional player, he bawled on the court after he lost and thanked the fans in a really touching way. It was sad to see him go.

That was the only goodbye I planned for today and then I heard of a tragic death just minutes ago. Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, was killed today in an accident where he was stung by a sting ray. Apparently, he died instantly. You know, as crazy as he was, I never figured that he would die on one of his expeditions. I thought maybe he would get injured badly, but never die and die instantly at that. He truly was a great entertainer and had a great passion for his work. He will be truly missed.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't hear about Steve Irwin until this morning. I'm shocked! So sorry.

Anonymous said...

It truly was a sad day. Andre was a great tennis player and I will truly miss him. I didn't get a chance to see his farewell and you know I would have been crying with him. I cried during Wimbledon as he said good-bye, I can only imagine yesterday.
Steve Irwin was a great entertainer and I loved his zest for what he did. I didn't expect him to go that way. I always figured they were risk takers but knew how to protect themselves.

Crazy Bitch said...

Seth and I are extremely sad. We really loved Steve Irwin and his family.

Jose said...

He died like he lived. I guess when you die doing something you so loved it cannot be all that bad. I loved the way he used to rarrate his stories with that heavy Australian accent of his. He'll be missed.

Nice new template, I liked your other one only because I too started with that one but this one reads pretty easy too.

MrManuel said...

Nani - Yeah, very shocking and unexpected.

Mom - I still have Agassi's match on TIVO. Just sad...

CB - Yes, very sad indeed

Jose - Yeah, I like the template look, just not too sold yet on some of the features. I want to make a new banner.