Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Survivor Controversy

The 13th season of Survivor starts tonight and like always, I am looking forward to it. However, this season has been getting a lot of buzz lately over the decision the producers have made over how to split up the teams. In case you haven't heard, this is what is happening. The producers have decided to split the teams into groups of 4 - each one of a different race. The 4 teams are divided into Caucasian, African America, Asian, and Hispanic groups. In the past, the contestants have been primarily Caucasian, mainly because that is who primarily applied for the show. The show received heat for not having more of a diverse cast of contestants. In response to this, the producers came up with the above idea. However, since they announced this, there has been a media backlash over the decision.

Frankly, this whole uproar over the decision has me pissed off. They respond to what people say is wrong with the show and people are still upset. Cries of racism and segregation have been rampant. I think people are just overreacting. It's a GAME! They aren't trying to create a race war. It's just for fun. Back in my senior season of high school varsity soccer, we used to split the team into two to scrimmage- "Whites vs. the Others Races." Why? Because it was fun. When the game was done did my teammates hate our white counterparts? No! It was just for fun. Did it split our team in two over the course of the season? Absolutely not. My oldest friend on the team was on the other side. It was just to make it more interesting. For FUN!

Other critics are saying, this is just a publicity stunt to get people to watch the show. You know what I say to that - so what?! Who cares?!? Is it not the job of producers to get more people to watch the show? Last season, they divided the contestants into 4 separate groups according to age and sex - older males, older females, younger males, and younger females. Did we have quite the uproar we have now? No. But you throw race in the cards and everyone gets their panties in a bunch and calls it racist. Talking about it and making a big deal about it only makes it worse. If they had just let it go and not brought up the race card, things would have been fine. And you know what, last season the groups were only divided like that for about 3 episodes. Are we really getting upset over three episodes? I am tired of people calling everything racist and making it seem like everyone has a hidden racist agenda. Get off it people. Just enjoy it for what it is. Entertainment. Am I going to watch the show knowing ahead of time that I am going to be cheering for the Hispanics simply because that is my race? Hell no. What if all the Hispanics on the show are a bunch of dicks? I'll cheer for the most likeable person. People just need to get off it and stop being so fucking sensitive.

7 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Yeah, I feel sorry for those people getting all upset about this. I feel sorry for them because they have nothing better to do with their time than to worry about what happens on a TV SHOW!!

Also, the NAACP is ok with this - and the NAACP is never happy about anything...

Anonymous said...

I'll be watching the show. It should be interesting. The media has too much power to incite. Let's all just watch the show and have fun. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm looking to Survivor because it is Survivor! I, too, will be cheering for the person(s) I like the best, regardless of race.

Anonymous said...

I'm not all that into reality (disposable) TV. With that said, the uproar is absolutely ridiculous.

Chely said...

Survivor is one of my favorite shows. However, last season's show bored me to the point that I stopped watching it. I don't even know who won!

This season, was surprising but the concept is interesting to me.

As a Latina, I was definitely rooting for my crowd on tonight's show but ultimately, I too will root for the one that upsets me the least.

Crazy Bitch said...

I'm sooo sick of the race thing! Just about everybody on Earth has a beef with some race or another! Can't we all just get along? Dang!

I think this concept will ABSOLUTELY get more viewers! People want to see who's the strongest race, and they are all hoping it's them! Guess we could be rooting for the Hispanics, no?

MrManuel said...

Wife - Yup, let's all argue over tv.

Nani - EXACTLY!

LaChou - Yup, big racist here! lol

POM - They fall under the HUGE umbrella of Caucasian

Mom - Right, race shouldn't matter

Val - Ridiculous is right on

Chely - I LOVED last season!

CB - I won't be necessarily rooting for the Hispanics. Not if I don't like them.