Thursday, September 14, 2006

Nervous

I got my new hire packet in the mail today. In it was information on disability, family leave, dress code, computer use rules, employee handbook, sexual harassment, things like that. It also contained my offer letter, which outlines my pay, my start date, etc. One of the things it also said was that my medical benefits wouldn't be active until 1/1/07. 3 months without insurance? I called right away. She said there was a 3 month probationary period for all new hires. I was completely silent - my head was spinning. What are we supposed to do without medical benefits for 3 months?! She asked if nobody explained that to me, and I said they hadn't and I thought the benefits would just carry over seeing as how I was already employed by the company. She said, "You are?!"

So now we're just going to be 1 month without medical benefits. I don't think we're going to leave the house for that month. This is SO scary...

5 comments:

Jose said...

Wow, under what excuse do they interrupt insurance if you are working for the same company. But then again from your previous posts I got the idea that resingning and going through interviews it would be for a different company. Maybe if it would have been a latteral move or promotion...

Unless you depend on your insurance don't jinx yourself, 30 days is like a blink of the eye.

Anonymous said...

Well, 30 days won't be so bad. It will be worth it just get out of your present situation. Just watch where you walk and don't climb on anything. Look both ways before you cross the street and wash your hands. :-)

Anonymous said...

The hospital should be offering you COBRA insurance. This is so that you can keep your insurance uninterrupted until the other kicks in. Our COBRA insurance when someone leaves is just 2% above the group cost. You better check with the hospital. But I don't understand why, if it is the same company, it is interrupted at all. Sometimes when you start from scrath, insurance companies don't cover as much - you have to work your way up. Please check!

Crazy Bitch said...

You are really lucky to get your insurance in a month. It is actually very, very common for new hires to a company to have to wait three months for their insurance, as well as sick and vacation time accruance to kick in. That is the "probationary time." They want to make sure you will be there before they spend money on you.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

LaChou - Please elaborate. I think the COBRA is going to cost me an arm and a leg, so if you have specific places in mind that might cost less, I'm up for it...

Jose - It is a lateral move with the same company, only a different part. The hospital insurance is different from the clinic insurance, and I guess that's why this is happening.

Nani & Jenn - I don't think I can do it, go a month without insurance. It makes me sick to my stomach just to think about it.

Mom - I will check into that. Fran mentioned it too. Thanks to you both for that - I didn't even know it existed!

Al - Originally it was a 3 month wait for the insurance, and when I saw that, I called and inquired. They thought I was a NEW employee, and when I told them I already worked for the company, they brought it down to a month.

I think it is the standard insurance month, like if you try to change your primary care physician, you usually have to wait until the next month to actually see him or her. I think this is the same thing. Because the insurance is a bit different (at the hospital I paid NOTHING for both Manuel and I and our co-pay was $10, whereas now I'll pay for Manuel and our co-pay will be $15.)