Saturday, December 30, 2006

Adventures at IKEA

Last night Manuel and I went to IKEA. We wanted to pick up a TV stand for the bedroom, because we’re doing a lot of TV rearranging. The new LCD HDTV is now in the entertainment center in the living room, so the TV that was there is going into our bedroom, but it is HUGE and I don’t want it sitting on top of the dresser, hence we were looking for a TV stand.

But that’s not the point of my story, that’s just why we were at IKEA last night. Here’s the point of my story…

It was after 6pm when we got to IKEA and we hadn’t eaten dinner yet, so we decided to eat before we shopped. IKEA actually has some pretty good food; we recommend you try the meatballs the next time you’re there. So we each get a meatball plate and notice a sign on the counter that says you get a free roll with each hot food plate. Score – a free roll!

We go to get our rolls and as we’re doing so there are 2 ladies also with a meatball plate at the roll place. I overhear their conversation:
Lady 1: Let’s get a roll.
Lady 2: No, you have to pay extra for them.
Me: No you don’t. They’re included in the price of a hot plate.
Lady 2: No they’re not.
Me: Well, that’s what the sign on the counter said…

And I walk away, thinking to myself how much of a bitch that lady was for arguing with me. It doesn’t come across in print, but she had a tone and a half when she said, “No they’re not.” Well excuse the hell out of me for trying to help you out!

So Manuel and I are in line waiting to pay, and bitchy lady is behind us. The line is longish, as you can imagine, what with it being dinnertime and all. An IKEA employee is cruising down the line, asking if anyone plans to pay with a credit card. Manuel and I NEVER have cash and ALWAYS pay with credit cards, so he raises his hand and says that we are. He calls us to a different register and as we’re walking away, I hear bitchy lady say, with an unreal amount of disgust in her voice, “Can you imagine paying with a credit card?!”

Excuse me?! Who is she to judge how we choose to pay for our food? We pay off our credit card bill every month and I guarantee our credit is better than hers. What I should have done was turned around and said, “I’ll remember you said that as we’re taking our free flight to Europe.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, you are right. She is a bitch! And she is a stupid one at that not knowing she gets a free roll with her dinner. You can't help a fool. This makes you not want to talk to strangers. Just mind our own business and let make their mistakes.

Sebastien Millon said...

Why are some people so insane?! Seriously, just be thankful this lady is a stranger, what if someone like that was your sister or relative... people like that make me thankful for having such sane family members.

Battlerocker said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like my father's wife might have been in line with you. She says things like that to people. One time we were shopping at a coat place, and she called the cashier "stupid" because he misread the expiration date on her credit card. I was mortified.

npanth said...

There's no need for that. Some people will take any oppurtunity to criticize others, never knowing that it belittles them at the same time.

Mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.