Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Random Thoughts

It’s been a while since I’ve blogged. There’s not much new to report, but I do have a few random thoughts I’m willing to share…

Thank you, Sonja, for asking how the new job was going. All is well. Apparently the holiday season is slow, so I have a lot of down time. I usually have 5 patients I see each day – these days I’m lucky to have 3 scheduled. And I’m even luckier if they actually show up. I never knew how many people just didn’t show up for their appointments. No call, no reschedule, no kiss my ass, nothing. So yeah, I spend a good deal of time playing Minesweeper or wandering around, looking for things to do. I like the cushy, laid back, relaxed atmosphere – a BIG change from the stressful, crazy, hectic pace of the hospital. Things will pick up after the New Year. I’m just hanging in there until then.

My name is Jessica and I’m a Guitar Hero 2 addict. I know I bought this game for Manuel for our anniversary, but I admit that I play it more than him. In my defense, he plays his PS3 more, but still, I’m always the one asking if we can play. It’s addicting! We try to beat each other’s high scores, plus I think it fills the little musical void I’ve been feeling in my life. Granted, I’m not REALLY playing the guitar, I’m not REALLY making music, but it’s a pretty good substitute.

Anyone who knows me, or has seen pictures of me, knows that I’m a bit fluffy, voluptuous, curvy, thick, heavy, fat - whatever descriptive words you want to use to say that I could stand to lose some weight. I’ve been heavy ALL MY LIFE. That’s my cross to bear, I suppose. It upsets me, sure, but I try to make the most of it. I think I’m surprisingly healthy for my weight. And when it makes me feel self-conscious and uncomfortable, I use self-deprecating humor. I know I should be happy with who I am and not worry about what others think, but I do – I think that’s human nature. I make fun of myself so they know that I know I’m fat. For some reason it’s my ultimate fear for someone to look at me and think, “Does that girl know how she looks?” Yes, I am painfully aware, thank you. And I can honestly say that I’ve done everything under the sun to lose weight without 100% success. Oh sure, I’ll lose the weight, but keeping it off is the hard part. My point? I am, easily, the heaviest girl who works in the back at the office (the back sees patients, the front checks them in.) Everyone else has a cute little figure, and if they have weight to lose, it’s 20 pounds at the absolute most. Why then do I constantly overhear my co-workers talking about how fat they are and how they want to lose weight? Are they serious?! I want to scream at them, “ I’m sure your problems are real to you, but open your eyes sister! I WISH I had your weight issue!” Then I want to hit them until they fall down, then kick them until they die, then go through their pockets to see if they have anything good to snack on.

I made myself laugh with that last part. But really, if you’re going to talk about your weight issues, please be aware of your surroundings and not to it if someone heavier than you is within earshot.

Christmas is fast approaching. Thanks to my wonderful husband going out to shop while I was at work today, we are very nearly done. I think we have 2 things left to get for 2 different people, and that’s it. It’s a good feeling, to have all of your shopping done - a big weight off the shoulders, almost like you can enjoy the holidays now.

And I think that’s it from here. Thanks for listening to my random thoughts, and feel free to comment as you like. And if I don’t talk to you before, have a fantastic Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica! You know, with the weight issue, I completely understand what it must feel like when you hear coworkers complain when they probably don't need to lose much weight. With my illness, which has left me in a lot of pain and totally fatigued for a year, unable to work or do much of anything, well it's incredibly difficult listening to a friend or anybody telling me how tired they feel. I mean, of course they have a right to complain, working hard, doing lots of things, but seriously, you're telling this to someone who is unable to work because of fatigue... Hehe, I'm not that bitter, frankly I'm happy they tell me what's going and how they feel, but it's a bit bitter sometimes, I'm sure you know what I mean. Anyways, thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you finally posted. I know about weight issues as you know. Our family tends to be heavy. Nothing much I can do but I do walk at work so I feel like at least I am doing something healthy. Work sounds so much better for you. Slow time can be a little boring though. See you Christmas. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

A. LOVED the card. Did you make those?

B. I am totally addicted to Minesweeper!

Thanks for the update and I hope you have a great holiday season.

Anonymous said...

Tell it like it is sister. I have people in my office that do the same thing. It's not good enough to be a six 10. I would LOVE to be that size. I'm glad your stress is gone. You don't need that. I hope I see you guys for Christmas.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Anonymous (Sebastien) - So you understand where I'm coming from. Thanks!

Nani - All you can do is the best you can... See you on the 24th.

Kelly - Of course I made it! I'm glad you liked it. And thank you for being the only one who didn't focus on the weight part of the post.

Jenn - I honestly want to scream at them, "I WISH I had your problems!!" See you on the 24th!

Crazy Bitch said...

It's been a while since I commented. Sorry to both of you for that.

I am so happy that your work allows you to chill. Times like that can be golden.

I know you didn't want anyone to focus on the weight thing, but I kinda think the other ladies in the office might want you to know that they feel they are in the same boat with you, (weight issues). Perhaps they wish for some sort of commraderie(sp?) Anyway, I LOVED that part about kickin' 'em 'til they're dead, etc! That was FUNNY!

Also, Seth is dying for the Guitar Hero! Greg Buhlman, also, would've LOVED IT! He made a fake, stringless guitar in wood shop in high school just so he could do "air guitar" properly. HE WOULD'VE SAID, "I'VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS ALL MY LIFE!"