Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Top Five Tuesday #9

Peeves. We all have them. Some just bug you a little while some make your blood boil. What are your peeves?

#5 - People who don't use their blinker. It's on the car for a reason. Use it. Don't keave me wondering if you are goig to turn or not and leave me having to wait to see what you are going to do! Although, that reminds me of a funny story. When I was in college, I had an old Mustang. Driving to school, I turned on my blinker and it fell off. So now, my blinker is going, and I have no way to make it stop because a)there is nowhere for me to pull over for a couple of miles and B) my blinker had fallen somwhere under my seat. I was so embarrased. Not only did I have to drive a couple of miles with the wrong blinker, but I had to get back over to the other lanes with my blinker going the opposite direction in tons of traffic. I am sure I pissed people off that day.

#4 - Cashiers who try to talk to me. Look, you can say hello and ask if I found everything. That's fine. But please don't start talking about what I am buying or try to start a new conversation. I don't need, "Looks like someone is really thirsty!" "So how is your day going today; got any plans?" "Hey, that's a good movie. What is your favorite part?" Ring me up and let me go.

#3 - Other customers in stores that try to talk to me. Listen, when I go shopping, I am there to buy what I need, not strike up a conversation with other customers. I hate when I am looking for something and they walk up to me and start talking about the most random things. "These aisles sure are messy." "I'm thinking that this sweater will go great with those pants I have at home." "Man, these sure are good prices that they have today, aren't they?" Ahh...go away and stop talking to me.

#2 - People who don't return phone calls. I hate that people don't have the common courtesy to call back when you leave them a message. It's not that hard. Pick up the phone and see whatthe other person wanted.

#1 - Misplaced apostrphes. My wife did a post about this as her very post that can be read here. It is such a common grammar rule, it amazes me that I see it everywhere. It annoys the hell out of me that people make som many mistakes with it. The most common culprit seems to be when people write "DVD's for sale." Nothing belongs to the DVDs, why did you write the apostrophe? C'mon people, you remember to put punctuation at the end of a sentence. Remember this rul.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

BIG PEEVE!
The onramp is short and there a lots of cars coming behind you. You have space, LET ME IN! Don't speed up and force me on to the side of the road! Just LET ME IN!

Crazy Bitch said...

I like to do a couple of the things that are a peeve for you! I love when the cashier talks to me and the conversation is pleasant. It sends me away with a smile on my face. I am also one of those people who talk to other people while in line or somewhere else. Sometimes I ask complete strangers if something that I am trying on looks good on me!

My peeves:
1) Don't fart around me, people!
2) people who ignore their animals
3) I also hate it when folks don't use their turn signals
4) parents who yell at their kids in front of everyone
5) slow as can be checkers who act like they hate their job and you, too!
6) PEOPLE WHO GIVE MY MOM TROUBLE!-This is particularly annoying to me.

npanth said...

I sent you a reply last night, I guess it got gobbled up in the ether.
write me at jheaney1[at]rochester.rr.com
cya

Sharon said...

People in a check-out line who know they are paying by check & wait until their entire order has been rung up and bagged before they pull their check book out and not to mention they not only write the check but also have to log it in their check registrar before they get out of your way!

Anonymous said...

Blinkers are a must, I cannot stand when people just kind of nudge into your land without warning.

I do not mind a little banter between the cashier and myself if she is good looking (I am a biased, shallow male-I cannot help it)but do not start asking me why I am buying something.
As far as other customers, same rules.

I do not answer phone calls, I hate that thing. The phone is the most vile invention of all time. I do return calls if a message is left.

I will try to watch that in the future. I guess it can be annoying if apostophie's are misplaced''''''''''''''''

Anonymous said...

People who run red lights. My light turns green and here comes a joker through the intersection right in front of me from another direction. AAAaarrggh! And these are probably the same people who complain about the red lights cameras some communities have thankfully installed.

Oh yeah- and if I ask for iced tea at a restaurant, I want real tea, not the kind that tastes like tropical punch. Yuck.

Mom said...

Spell check!!! When someone writes a post about things they can't stand and it is full of typos!! Just kidding son! You know I love you. I know I'm a culprit of the misplaced apostrophes but my peeve is the your-you're rule. "Your the nicest person I know". Aaaggh! It's you're not your! That's my peeve. Also, the turn signal, slow drivers, and slow talkers too. I'm guilty too of carrying on a conversation with people and I like when checkers are friendly. I hate when they are not. When they won't even say hello and just start ringing me up. I purposely will say hello to them. I'm a customer - be nice to me!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I HATE HATE HATE misplaced apostrophes, as you may have gathered from the my very first post.

I HATE HATE HATE when the cashier ignores me and the first words they say to me is how much I owe them. Like you I do not like the stupid, mindless banter, but don't ignore me either. Say hello just to acknowledge me. I'll give the cashier plenty of time to acknowledge me and when they don't, I've been known to very sarcastically say, "Hello (insert name of cashier here)" like I'm talking to a slow 3 year old.

And you know I love you with all my heart, right sweetie? Then do me a favor and go ahead and take advantage of that fancy little spell check feature on the computer. I would think it's a little embarassing to have THAT many typos...

Sebastien Millon said...

Hmmm, I actually don't mind when people strike up conversations with me. If I have the time, I usually indulge. I never go out of my way to start conversations myself, I think it can seem creepy... but if it's a nice old lady or something, I don't mind if they start talking to me...

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Top peeves...
hmmmmmm..
5. I don't like it when people drive through the stop sign on our street.. Kids are playing outside.. how stupid can you be?
4. Slow service or rude servers.
3. my step-daughters dog.. he really irks me..bark bark bark.. is all he knows..
2. chatty check-out girls..
1.not returning my phone calls.. I'm still waiting for my sister-in-law to call me about babysitting for me.. I left the message three weeks ago..

MrManuel said...

Nani - Yes, Jessica has to deal with that too when she leaves work and hates it!

CB - Yes, people who hate their jobs and make sure you know about it while you are at their place of business are the worst!

Npanth - Got it!

Sharon - Good one! Tha is annoying as hell!

Evil E - You hate the phone? Egads!

Sonja - I think every intersection should have a red light camera.

Mom - FINE, I will spell check now!

Mrs - Yes, sometimes it is embarrasing to go out with you.

Seb - I only like them to say hell, how are you, and end it like that.

babybull - You really hate that dog don't you!

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Something that happened on the way to work this morning reminded me of another peeve of mine: people who can't correctly do the metering lights onto the freeway. The sign CLEARLY says "One car per lane per green." This DOES NOT mean that when the light in the lane next to you turns green that you can go; that is THAT person in THAT lane's green, NOT YOURS. That's why you have your own light for your own lane. In regular traffic you wouldn't go straight when the turn light next to you turned green, so why do you do it with the freeway metering lights?

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

yes I really can't stand that dog.. he is a stupid animal and if you were here you would say the same.. I have had people ask me if its our dog barking and I say no.. it's my step-daughters dog.. blame her...