Sunday, May 04, 2008

Manuel on Movies #2

No recollection story today, but I have another planned for tomorrow. For now, I really need to catch up on my movie reviews. I have seen 7 movies since my last review post so I have a lot to catch up on all the way up to my viewing of Iron Man today.

Zodiac - This is the movie based on the real life hunt for the Zodiac Killer. I don't know how much was truthful and how much was made up for the story, but it was a pretty good film. There is really not any action in it like typical Hollywood serial killer movies, but then again, I expected that. If it was based on a real life killer who was never captured, why would I expect their to be chase scenes and the like? The story mainly focuses on the people who became so obsessed with capturing this criminal. The movie is almost devastatingly slow, but if you can appreciate a slow movie that relies mainly on character build up and conversations, then I would give this a try. Be warned, it is nearly three hours long. 7 out of 10





The Mist - This is horror/supernatural movie based on the Stephen King story. The movie starts out like a 50s B-horror movie. It's not too bad. I was enjoying it. Then the movie becomes so much more and deals with the horrors that the human race brings on themselves. The end of the movie is one of the most difficult endings I have ever seen. It is at this point that the movie becomes memorable and one that is difficult to shake. 7.5 out of 10









Sicko - This is the newest Michael Moore film. In this film, he deals with the horrors of the health care industry on the United States. It is a very interesting movie even though I know, like all of his movies, it has his biased viewpoint. Regardless, I know some of it had to be true and it is just sickening. A pretty good watch as long as you don't hate Michael Moore(which I know some of my fellow bloggers do! :-)) 7 out of 10











Reno 911: Miami - Silly. I watched this because I think the Reno 911 show on tv is fairly amusing and I was hoping the movie would at least give me a couple of laughs. Well, I was right. It gave me a couple of chuckles. But 2 or 3 chuckles in a 90 minute period is not a very good ratio for a comedy. Oh well... 2.5 out of 10












Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer - I really didn't care too much for the first Fantastic Four movie, but I had heard from everyone who had seen it that the second one was better. They were right, it was better, but not considerably. The problem I have with this series is it is too family friendly and happy go lucky. It borders on slap stick like. I just think for a super hero movie, it never feels like anything is ever very serious. 6 out of 10









Beowulf - This is the "animated" movie based on the old story. I say animated because the characters are made to look as real as possible and many of the characters are made to look exactly like the actors who supply voices. Overall, the film looks spectacular and you sometimes forget you are watching an animated movie. This is what drives this movie as the story is only so-so. The story is good enough, but probably not enough to hold up to multiple viewings once the wow factor of the animations wears off. 6.5 out of 10








Iron Man - Awesome! Really, if this is the way my Summer movie season is going to go, it is going to be spectacular. This one will be hard to top. This may be my favorite comic movie to date and that is saying a lot. The main reason for the greatness of this movie? Robert Downey Jr. completely nailed the character of Tony Stark. It was almost as if her was born to play this role because it is his movie. The story itself is great and has the right mixture of action/humor/etc. As a comic movie, everything just felt perfect. If you do go see it, be sure wait and see the scene after the credits roll. Classic mark out moment for comic fans!!! 9.5 out of 10.

9 comments:

Tara said...

I want to rent "The Mist". A coworker told me that she couldn't shake the ending of it either.

"PS, I Love You" is another movie I need to watch. I like Gerard Butler...eh...for his acting abilities! ;)

Jose said...

I used to read every Stephen King book he wrote but I haven't read his latest ones, "The Mist" included. I would love to read the bood before I watch the movie. I just can't read a book after I watched the movie.

Almost three hours long and slow, I think I'll pass on Zodiak.

I have heard nothing but good things about Iron Man, but what I am really waiting gor comes out next week. Yeap, mi chica, my grandson, and I have a date to go watch "Speed Racer".

Anonymous said...

I read The Mist but have not seen the movie yet. I will though. We did see Zodiac and enjoyed it. No need to see it ever again but it was enjoyable. We plan to see Iron Man. Not sure when.

Churlita said...

I keep hearing such great things about Ironman, that I know I need to see it.

I also still need to see Beowulf. I have a copy of it, I just keep forgetting about it.

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I saw the Mist and I'm still horrified. The ending was somthing else man. Very glad to hear that you like Iron Man!

laura b. said...

I have finally actually seen some of your movies! I have seen Zodiac, Sicko, and IRON MAN! Wasn't it fun?!?! I am not much of a comic person, but I really enjoyed this and agree that it had a lot to do with Robert Downey, Jr. And sitting through all the credits was TOTALLY worth it :-)

Anonymous said...

No Michael Moore at all, ever...I hate that guy.

I think the actual documentaries about the Zodiac were better than the movie. They have never caught him, no one has any idea, and the fact that reality is what it is in this case drowns the movie.

I wore out on Stephen King...I have picked up the Mist a couple of times and put it back down in lieu of something else.

No Michael Moore--oh, I said that

No Reno 911 either.

I did not like the Fantastic 4 comics..."flame on!" ick.

HappyFlapjacks said...

I've got the mist sitting on my coffee table. I had been somewhat afraid to watch it after I walked out of "Dreamcatchers" in the theater. I have a renewed hope that it may actually be good.

Mom said...

Out of all those, Ironman sounds like the one to watch. I totally trust your judgement for superhero movies. I'm glad Robert Downey did the role justice.