Thursday, May 22, 2008

Manuel on Movies #3 - Indiana Jones edition


So I just got back from seeing the new Indiana Jones movie. It was, I don't know, good I guess. There were parts that I LOVED and parts that I despised. First off, it was great to see Ford back in the Jones character. He had it dead on as if Last Crusade was just a few years ago. Besides the wrinkles, I don't think he showed the age at all. It was like revisiting a new friend. And Shia, who I am growing to like more and more with everything I see him in, was his usual good self. The story was decent. It was out there, but then again, weren't the other ones too with Holy Grails, Arks, and Shankara stones?

The thing that bugged the shit out of me though were some over the top action sequences that had things that were just so absurd, it would take me out of it for a second as I shook my head in disbelief. Now normally, I will go with it if that is the type of movie it is, but Indy has never been THAT over the top with scenes. For instance, Shia as a monkey. If you have seen it, you know. If you haven't just wait. Little things like that. And the CGI at times was downright atrocious, and that is not including the couple of scale models that were also blatantly obvious.

I liked it. I am glad I saw it. I will own the movie and maybe come to appreciate it more after repeat viewings. But it was no Iron Man. I will give it an 8 out of 10, but you take the exact same story and make it just an adventure movie with no Indiana Jones in it, it would have received maybe a 6 or so.

6 comments:

Tara said...

We're gonna go see this on Memorial Day. It'll be good to see Dr. Jones again. :)

Have a great Memorial Day weekend!

Anonymous said...

We saw the first showing yesterday at 10:30, not midnight. I was so excited I had tears in my eyes. People applauded and cheered when it began and throughout the movie there was more applause and cheering. I love Indy so much it never occurred to me to look for flaws so I didn't see any. If they had been obvious I guess I would have seen it but really, I loved it and so did Uncle Skip. We will buy it and watch it again and again just like the first three. Which incidentally, I don't like the second in the series as much as the first and third.

Mom said...

I love these old guys making come backs. Seeing Sylvester Stallone come back as Rocky (have only seen bits and pieces of Rambo) was great. They aren't trying to pass themselves off as young guys - they are admitting they are old - and it works. I too, was watching it with excitement but was disappointed at the cheeseiness of the effects. Still - great entertainment that made it all worth it with Indiana Jones. If it wasn't for his character, I agree, it would just be okay. I couldn't help but laugh, though, at the lady sitting in the front of us. She was hilarious.

Anonymous said...

Ya Shia as a monkey was pretty unbelievable, but I LOVE him so it was ok!
I still loved the movie though, it's Indiana Jones!
I'm glad I went to see it, and I was glad I could help Jessica smuggle in her soda!

Cassie

Churlita said...

I just read a similar review on another blog. Everyone is comparing new movies to Iron Man and apparently, nothing else measures up. I guess that means I should go see Iron Man.

Anonymous said...

and the mixed reviews keep rolling in....you are the fourth person who has said basically the same thing

I still want to see it, but I am cooling a bit.