Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The attack on the music industry....

I thought about this while I was listening to this song on my jukebox the other day. We all know that violent lyrics are one of the things that are constantly being blamed for youth violence. From Marilyn Manson to Eminem, singers are often accused of being the one of the main problems with our society. For example, read these lyrics...and read them all.

Oh some times I think back to when I was younger
Life was so much simpler then
Dad would be up at dawn
He'd be watering the lawn
Or maybe going fishing again

Oh and mom would be fixing up something in the kitchen
Fresh biscuits or hot apple pie
And I'd spend all day long in the basement
Torturing rats with a hack-saw
And pulling the wings off of flies

Those were the good old days
Those were the good old days
The years go by but the memory stays
And those were the good old days

I can still remember good old Mr. Fender
Who ran the corner grocery store
Oh, he'd strolled down the aisle with a big friendly smile
And he'd say "Howdy" when you walked in the door

Always treated me nice, gave me kindly advice
I don't know why I set fire to his place
Oh I'll never forget the day I bashed in his head
Well you should've seen the look on his face

Let me tell ya now

Those were the good old days
Those were the good old days
The years go by but the memory stays
And those were the good old days

Do you remember sweet Michelle
She was my high school romance
She was fun to talk to and nice to smell
So I took her to the homecoming dance

Then I tied her to a chair and I shaved off all her hair
And I left her in the desert all alone
Well sometimes in my dreams
I can still hear the screams
Oh I wonder if she ever made it home

I tell ya

Those were the good old days
Those were the good old days
The years go by but the memory stays
And those were the good old days

Let me tell ya buddy

Those were the good old days
Those were the good old days
The years go by but the memory stays
And those were the good old days


Pretty gruesome right? Pretty violent. I am sure this singer has come under many attacks for his violent lyrics and influence on the children of today. He should be censored!!! In fact, maybe we should protest at his concerts. Who is this menace to society?



Wait for it....




Here comes the face of Satan himself.....





Almost there......







Burn this image into you memory folks because he is the problem with today's children....











What do you know? It's just Weird Al. What's funny is that when this song came out many years ago, you never heard anyone protesting about his lyrics of bashing in someone's face or tying up a girlfriend in the desert. Why? I guess because he is seen as being harmless. So now it is just an image thing. You can write violent lyrics as long as you look user friendly to kids? Something to think about....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

People have always done incredibly horrible things to each other since the beginning of time. That is the fatal flaw in humanity.
What came first? The chicken or the egg.
Doe art imitate life or does life imitate art?
I don't consider anyone harmless.

Mom said...

I don't know about that son - Weird Al is a pretty scary looking guy! Ha ha!!! Marilyn Manson has come under attack mostly because of his looks just like Heavy Metal music as well. Anybody who is different - when Elvis Presley first started singing he was criticized because he would shake his hips. Did that cause the sexual revolution? Movies are blamed as well - did my kids grow up killing people because they saw Robocop one too many times as children? Well, not that I'm aware of - but I love my kids unconditionally anyway!

Anonymous said...

Being a metal guy I can comment on this like crazy.

Actually, when the government and religious groups go after bands for violent or raunchy lyrics, they do so in a public manner. This causes those who are supposedly influenced by the band and the lyrics to purposely go out and find the group in question and buy their records. I have read in what seems a hundred interviews with various acts that they thank parents groups, the government and the churchies for the free advertising. No such thing as bad publicity!

Weird Al is actually one of the nicest and funniest people on the planet. My friend works for ClearChannel here in Cleveland and allowed me to meet him.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Since I was the one that suggested you write this post, you know how I feel on the subject.

I listen to Marilyn Manson. I play Grand Theft Auto. I watch violent films. I am not a serial killer or a serial rapist, I do not torture small animals, nor do I shoot up my local school. Know why? Because I'm an intelligent human being and can make choices based on what I think is right and wrong, not based on what I heard in a song or saw on a video game or movie.

This topic gets me all riled up. Basically the bottom line is this: We are lucky enough to live in a free country with the right to freedom of speech. If you don't like it, shut it off.

laura b. said...

Leave the parenting to parents..the government can stay out of it.

MrManuel said...

Nani - I think people are hamrless. I just think some people are too stupid.

Mom - Nope, no killings yet.

Evil e - You've met him? You are so lucky! Didn't you meet SOAD too? Man, lucky guy indeed!

Jess - You aren't a serial killer, but you are a serial chore giver!

LB - Exactly! Too bad some parents don't know how to.