Sunday, August 06, 2006

A Giant Breakthrough

I did something today I swore I'd NEVER do again. And I held true for 5 years. FIVE YEARS! But I broke down today. It was hard for me, but I did it.

I went to WalMart.

I know, I know... But my blow dryer broke. A girl HAS to have her blow dryer. Manuel and I were out and about and WalMart was the closest store. Target was TOTALLY out of the way for a single item. Plus, Manuel was driving. I had no choice.

After we parked, it took me a while to get out of the car. When I finally did (only because it was getting hot), I walked half-heartedly through the parking lot and entered through the garden section. I walked through there with no problem - it's a garden section (plus, it's outside so I wasn't technically INSIDE WalMart yet.) Then we came to the doors, and that's when I had trouble. Manuel walked in and I stopped. I couldn't do it! He kept saying, "Just come on!" but I honestly was having a hard time. Finally I did it. I stepped through the doors and was inside WalMart, a place I haven't been in 5 years, since the vomit incident.

And thankfully we entered right by the blow dryers, so it was a quick trip. Although, I hate to admit, once I had my blow dryer, I wanted to walk around and check out the massive store.

This is a big deal in my life, going inside a WalMart. A breakthrough in a 5 year protest. I'm not saying I'll become a regular WalMart shopper, but I finally broke down. Such a sad day...

5 comments:

npanth said...

Last time I went to WalMart was...
3 years ago? They're the only store in town that carries the giant box of Legos. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, a girl has to have her blow dryer after all. I have been known to step inside on more than one occasion but I don't like it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of you Jess. Just don't get addicted. Cassie and I went in for one thing once - same thing - enter through the garden area and it's not so bad - get in, get out!

Anonymous said...

I love Walmart! I don't care who knows it. I don't even go to Safeway that much, because I can get so much. I need to with the eater's I have here. I have to remember that there are other stores, but 80% of the time that's were I go. Ye Haw!!!

Anonymous said...

What happened with the "vomit incident?"

I too love Walmart! It really makes a difference when you are hecka poor!