Thursday, August 31, 2006

9/1/06 at 2pm

Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with the following picture?

I got a call at 409am this morning. I knew who it was - so positive in fact that it crossed my mind to answer the phone, "Ok, I'll be there as soon as I can." I didn't, just in case, but I was right. It was work, and they wanted me to come in early to help. Truthfully, I had been up since 3am tossing and turning, so really, it was ok.

I got there at 5am, clocked in and began working.

And there I stayed, working my ass off, without a break, until 730pm.

14.5 hours. WITHOUT A BREAK.

I did eat though. Around 1pm I had 5 bites of my fruit salad I brought for breakfast. And really, the only reason I got to do that was because I said to the charge nurse, "Either you watch my patient for 5 minutes or I pass out."

But during that 5 minutes I made a phone call. A phone call that is very important to my mental health. I scheduled my interview for tomorrow at 2pm. That 5 minutes right there was easily the best part of my day.

After yesterday and today at work, I NEED this job. I can't continue to do this - to be run into the ground each and every day. It's not right to dread going to work. It's not right that your job makes you cry. It's just not right...

And it's nobody's fault, really. There are just too many patients and not enough rooms to put them in or people to take care of them.

For example, the record number of deliveries for our unit was set last month at 292. Well, when I left tonight, we were at 311. Not only did we break the record, we blew the friggin' doors off it. 1 more baby and we'll have beat it by 20. 20 babies - can you even imagine?!

So please keep your fingers crossed and send good thoughts at 2pm tomorrow. I need this, or I'll continue on the fast track to serious burn out.

5 comments:

Crazy Bitch said...

I am praying my heart out, Jess! You do really need to get out of there!

I read in Dear Abby or Dear Caroline in the paper the other day, and it was about a person who had changed their mind about nursing altogether. It was because of the crap that happens at work. This kind of crap.

I pray those nice folks at your interview hand you a shovel!

Anonymous said...

I am also praying that you get the job Jess. You have paid your dues and then some. Hugs and Best Wishes. :-)

Jose said...

My Mom got hospilalized last week and when I got there at 9:00 a.m. to visit, the nurse was already there, and then when I left at around 8:00 p.m. the same nurse was still there. To me that's just freaking crazy, granted they only work four days but I can see the burnout coming.

On the other hand we cannot keep losing good medical help, it's just not right.

Again good luck on your interview.

Anonymous said...

Good luck Jess....I'll be talking to you after it!

npanth said...

ugh, but you know of course that the docs work twice as hard, and get paid half as much, right ;)
Oh, right, that's the nurses. I hope you get the job ;)