Monday, August 07, 2006

The Vomit Incident

Apparently there are still some people in the Sacramento area who don't know the story of the vomit incident. I shall relay it now, and then I think you'll understand why there was a 5 year WalMart boycott.

Back in the end of 2001 I was at school at UC Davis (GO AGGIES!) I was a tour guide and had to go to school for some event, and Manuel came with me. He had graduated back in June and was already in the teaching credential program at Sac State. We had tickets to a Knights game that night so we planned to go to Arco Arena from the Davis event. We were SUPER early, so we decided to stop at WalMart on Truxel on our way because Manuel needed something for school.

We went to the office supply section and looked for accordion files for a portfolio he had to make. On the bottom shelf I saw this box, so I picked it up, set it on my chest/belly and opened it to see what it was. Lo and behold, there were dividers inside, so I asked Manuel if it was what he needed. He said it was but he didn't like it because it was big and bulky. I agreed and closed the box. I lifted it off my tummy by the handle, and as I did, I smelled vomit. I remember thinking it was odd, but let it go. I set the box back on the shelf and took a few steps. I don't know what made me do it, but I looked down at my shirt and there was vomit on it!

I immediately grabbed my shirt and pulled it away from my skin as I said to Manuel, "There's vomit on my shirt!" Manuel, who can have nothing to do with vomit, says, "Let me see!" and comes over and begins gagging. Big help...

So my immediate goal is to get to a bathroom, only I don't know where it is. Luckily, the next aisle over are a few employees, so I walk up to them, still holding my shirt away from my skin, and say, "There's fucking vomit on my shirt and it's not mine." I didn't care that I cussed.

"Gross."

"Yeah, where's the bathroom?"

So I go to the bathroom and there's no paper towels. I go to the customer service counter right outside the bathroom. The lady was helping someone but I didn't care. I interrupted and said, "There's vomit on my shirt and it's not mine."

"Gross."

"Yeah. There's no paper towels."

She gives me a roll and I go into the bathroom and clean my shirt, but now there's a giant wet spot, plus the fact remains that there was vomit on my shirt. I went to the clothes department and picked up the first shirt I saw. I went to put it on and I said to the lady, "I need to try this shirt on. Do you know why? Because there was vomit on my shirt and it wasn't mine."

You can guess what she said, "Gross."

"No kidding. As far as I'm concerned, this shirt should be free."

"I'll have to call my manager."

"Get on the phone."

Have you ever tried to take your shirt off while keeping the front as far from your face as possible?

In the end, I got the shirt for free, and never set foot in a WalMart again, until yesterday, that is...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gross!

Anonymous said...

Wow! How incredibly horrible! Thanks for telling us the story! I too, wouldn't go into a store that obviously didn't care too much if their patrons got somebody else's barf on them! If they hadn't given you the shirt, that would've been completely wrong of them.

Wow! That IS gross!

Anonymous said...

I didn't know that. That is gross, but I do know what it's like to have something gross on you. When I was nine, my grandma was babysitting my cousin. I think you know him! Will He was about a year. I sat him on my shoulder. BAD IDEA!!! Huggies were new and hadn't evolved yet. I screamed bloody murder. It took grandma a while, so she could pull my shirt off and not get any on me. GROSS!!!

MrManuel said...

Jen....ewwww. I hadn't heard that story before! I can't believe Mike did that to you... lol

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Jen, as gross as that is, I can beat it! I work with a girl at work whose sister was changing her new baby's diaper. As she was naked, the baby had explosive diarrhea that sprayed everywhere, INCLUDING INTO HER SISTER'S MOUTH!!!

I would disown my child if that happened. I'm NOT joking.

Anonymous said...

That's even grosser, Jess! (gag!cough!)