Sunday, August 06, 2006

The week ahead

So it's late and I gotta keep this up so here it goes. This week ahead will include the following takes....

Why J.K. Rowling should kill Harry Potter.

Remembering the 2002 Sacramento Kings.

Top 5 movie soundtracks

Why I miss my cousins

Now on with the show. Poem TIME. I am shooting from the hip here people, so give me the benefit of the doubt.

People remember smiles, not frowns
People remember birthdays, not deaths
People remember names, not ages
People remember food, not drinks

What is it that makes us remember? Is it sounds or smells? The everlasting impacts events have on our lives that make us burn images and thoughts into our brain? I tend to think that if it's important enough, I can remember anything.

I remember the first sports team I was ever on. (The cardinals)
I remember my first date. (Tammy Hintz)
I remember the perfume of this girl I once knew. (Charlie Blue)
I remember my best friend's name from back in the day. (Matt Trissler)
I remember my first celebrity love. (Staci Keanan from "My Two Dads")
I remember the name of the league MVP from our epic Tecmo Bowl season on the Sega Genesis that involved all my closest friends. (Ray Buchanan of the Indianapolis Colts)

What do you remember?

Ya get the point. All in all, we remember good and bad and in between. In the end I want to be more than just a memory. I don't want to be remembered. I want to be talked about for the rest of eternity. I like to think small with my goals.

Rabble Rock!

7 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I remember when Cordelia Junction was mostly fields and my mom slapped my dad there.

I remember being the first player on my little league baseball team (Chain Reasction) to get blood on their jersey (I was playing pitcher and didn't catch the ball and it hit me square in the nose.)

I remember the biggest humiliation a kid can have - being teased for being fat in 5th grade. I was called Jaba, 747 and blimp. I lost weight so they'd leave me alone. Nope. They called me Slim Fast.

I remember getting caught the first time I had sex.

I remember the hell I put Manuel through when we were dating and regret it to this very day.

I remember the adrenaline rush the first time I delivered a baby.

Anonymous said...

I remember my black velvet shoes for 6th grade graduation.
I remember my first day of Jr High and my idiot cousin taunting me near the entrance.
I remember the day JFK was assinated.
I remember my wedding day.
I remember the feeling of awe and wonder gazing at my newborn daughters.
I remember the joy at the birth of my grandbabies.
I hope I will be remembered and loved after I am gone.

Anonymous said...

I remember when Antelpoe was just trees. I remember when there were no cell phones and no answering machines! Remember when Happy Meals came out? The first movie theme? Star Trek: the motion picture! I still lived in Corona.
I remember Greg everyday.

Anonymous said...

I remember being in my crib, looking out the window.

I remember being in my walker, and how it made my diaper give me a wedgie.

I remember being annoyed that I had to stop whatever it was I was doing to go potty on the toilet, instead of in my diaper.

I remember Valerie as a baby. I thought she was the most beautiful and sweet baby I had ever seen!

I remember the day Manuel was born. Uncle Manuel had just come back from a soccer game, and how wide-eyed he looked when he found out Nana was in labor!(scared?)

I remember making Little Manuel say "Fox" and "I'm a lucky boy!"

I remember when Manuel and Michael both soiled (tag teamed?)Santa Claus in more way than one when they were babies.

I remember the day Cassie was born. I couldn't believe such a tiny person was the end result of all that labor.

I remember when Rosemary was born. Aaagh, the lost weekend.

I remember how quiet and sweet Angelia was as a baby.

I remember Seth being handed to me immediately after birth. I had hardly any strength to hold him on me. I remember saying to myself, "red hair?"

I remember almost every detail of the day Greg died.

Anonymous said...

Jessica: I was also fat in fifth grade. They called me "Blubber" due to the Judy Bloom book.

Anonymous said...

My own mother called me Baby Huey. She thought it was funny.

Anonymous said...

I remember the first boy I kissed (Dez Parish) in kindergarten.

I remember goin to Disneyland with the chickenpox.

I remember crying in the elevator after I fell in Cancun....for my 21st I want to have a party maybe we should play the video 21 times Jess!

I remember being called a fat mexican in 5th grade.

I remember playing dress up with Jennifer when we were little...and in highschool.

I remember always wanting to hang out with my brother and his hot friends!

I remember exactly how Mike asked me out.

I remember when Mike and I went on our first date and somebody asking us when we were getting married.Talk about awkward!

I remember being bribed with a My Little Pony to walk down the aisle at Jen and Gregs wedding.

But I don't ever remember making Predator faces and noises.