Friday, August 11, 2006

IKEA adventures


Took my grandma to IKEA for the first time today as she had never been there. I figured with all the great prices and impulse buy items, she would love it. I LOVE IKEA and I am always excited to go with someone who has never been there. We got there at 9:40, but it didn't open until 10. Luckily, the food area was open so we had the 99 cent breakfast special. Not bad for a buck. Then, the rest of the store opened at 10. We were out by 10:30. Yes, we did all of IKEA in just under 30 minutes. I actually didn't think that was possible. I think the store just overwhelmed her. She never really stopped and looked at anything - more of a carnival ride where you just have to keep going. Maybe she just wasn't interested in browsing, but I think it was just too much for her. I bought the juice dispenser I went for so I guess I can't complain. My favorite part was when I picked it up, Grandma asked, "I am going to a wedding next month, do you think that would be a good gift." Since it was plastic and $4.99, I politely told her that it probably wasn't. Either way though, it was still a good time with my grandma. She said she'll stick to going to Target as she knows where everything is. She did like one thing though. She talked repeatedly about how good the 99 cent breakfast was. Hey, at least she got something out of it...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma has always been a fast shopper. When I was little, I had to run to keep up with her. She looked around IKEA and didn't see anything she wanted. I talked to her about it. She was happy just to have been with you. That made her day. Hugs to the sweetest guy in the family. ;_)

Anonymous said...

I thought she would have looked more. Who's wedding is she going too? She's a lot of fun to shop with. We always go to Target. We know were everything is. I've never been to Ikea, but Allison and Monica have been. I've got the catalog and I'm thinking about re-doing my apartment. It's nice and cheap. Love it!

MrManuel said...

Nani - I am glad she had a good time.

Jenn - Some wedding for a daughter of a friend or something. Don't really know...

Anonymous said...

IKEA is fantastic! I'm glad you took her with you! She must've been so happy!

J said...

My love for Ikea is unrivaled.

Anonymous said...

I think she is going to a wedding for the daughter of some friends from church. I think they live behind us. Anyways, she was happy to go with you - so thanks for thinking of her. IKEA is the best. Haven't been to this one yet, but I have been to the one in the bay area. Jenn, you'll love it!