Thursday, August 24, 2006

Jury Duty

So yesterday, I went to jury duty. The first half of the day was quite dull as I never got called to go into a court room. So, I just read a while and then walked down to Hard Rock for my 2 hour lunch. However, right when lunch ended, my name was called to go to a court room. I got to hear about the case, see the defendant, and hear endless questions about whether or not we could be impartial, blah, blah, blah. Then they started picking/eliminating potentail jurors. They called 50 of us initially into the room, and by the time they were done with eliminations and people excused, there were only 6 people left in the seats, minus the picked jurors. Unfortunately, I wa sone of the six that never got to be questioned or even considered for a juror. So basically, I just got to listen to a bunch of questions for a few hours, but I actually had a good time. It was fun to see how a trial starts off. I didn't get to be a juror like I wanted, but at least I got to see some things. Maybe next time....

10 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

Better than my jury experience - sitting in the room all day without being called, spending the day with someone from high school who I didn't know very well, or like very much for that matter.

Anonymous said...

I've never been part of a jury...and I am in a much smaller town than you (5700 population)

Anonymous said...

Will you go to jury duty for me, when they try to call me again?!

I get enough of the legal crap at work!

Anonymous said...

I've been called a few times. Actually served once and the plaintiff was caught in lies so they dismissed the case. It was an OK experience. I'm glad you had fun.

MrManuel said...

wife - hahaha, still makes me laugh to this day

val - yeah, that is small

al - sure, if they let me

nani - bad, bad man!!

npanth said...

I've been called three times. My juror number has always been very high, so I've never got beyond the phone message stage. I'd be interested to see how it works, but it sounds like alot of waiting...

Anonymous said...

That sucks.... my first time I ever got called for jury duty, I got to sit in the jury box and come back the second day and I got paid for it even though I didn't serve on the jury. Guess I'm just lucky

Anonymous said...

Actually being in the court room is an experience. I liked it. I've sat on a "coroner's jury" which was basically just a half day and then never again. The last time I was called I was in the pool in the court room but never got up to the stand either. I was bummed because I really wanted to be on the case. Oh well, glad you enjoyed it but sorry you didn't get to serve - or at least make the wonderful $15/day.

Anonymous said...

By the way - thank you for responding to us individually - I like the feedback

MrManuel said...

Npanth - It is a lot of waiting. Just getting called in doesn't even mean you will see a courtroom

Cass - Lucky punk

Mom - I know, that $15 could have gone very far!

Mom - Yeah, I am going to try to comment on all comments