Friday, August 04, 2006

Jury Duty

I could spend this 10-15 minutes of writing bitching about my day at jury duty or telling you about a movie I saw tonight, but that would just be ummmm what's the word. ORDINARY!
And we all know I ain't ordinary. I'm slightly off as my Daddy would say. So here is what I noticed today. Hopefully this doesn't sound like me just overexplaining something simple in my head to make myself seem more important. Go with it folks.

I think I talk to myself in my head all the time. Now we all have "thoughts" in our head, but I think I have a twist to that. It's what I decided was a byproduct of being a very silent boy growing up. I started having conversations in my head to myself. Asking and answering my own questions. Sitting in the juror waiting room I found myself laughing at my own jokes and smiling to the rest of group 525. All these folks must have thought I was a little off as well. Here is an example of what I mean.

I turned the room of waiting juror's into a movie. Group 525. Perhaps I was just entertaining myself out of boredom, but here is what I came up with. I was the disgruntled young man in the room. I had been dumped by my girlfriend a year ago and in that time I had used my computer savy to somehow arrange for us both to get the same government letter requesting our presence at the courthouse. I, of course, would hide away in the men's bathroom and sneak outside to take peaks to make sure she was in the room and when the moment was right. BOOM. The doors to the waiting room would shut and become locked and I would have a room full of potential jurors and my ex-girlfriend all hostage and at my disposal. I would have a mini arsenal of weapons at my disposal that I had managed to smuggle and hide in the men's bathroom in that very same waiting room the day prior to us reporting for our duty. I would then proceed to make my ex-girlfriend stand trial in front of a jury of peers that I would pick. The crime? Breaking a man's heart and leaving him for dead of course. Being the insane man that I am, I would put her through an arduous afternoon of explaining her actions to a room full of complete strangers. I would be the prosecution and the DA and the judge. Everytime a juror would speak out of turn or attempt to take my ex's side, I would end them on the spot. I would spout out catchy lines after killing someone like, "Objection overruled." In the end, after a weekend full of torture and twists and turns it would all end in bloody murder for me. Right at the moment the SWAT team was to break into the waiting room, my ex would convince me that she wanted to take me back and try again, only to turn on me and shoot me with my own gun. Cut to the final scene of a police officer holding my crying ex in his arms as I lay on the floor dead. Then the details of Group 525 would be spelled out for the movie audience as the real-life details from whence this movie came to be are exposed.

Funny right? Not the concept or the idea, just the thought of what I did at 8 am this morning to keep myself awake and alert. I talked the whole thing out in my head and laughed and winced at each twist and turn. All my actors had no idea they had become stars of my movie. Full on conversation. I usually end these chats by shaking my head disapprovingly and moving on to the next topic. If I was to be egotistical about it, I would call it a great imagination and a sense for capturing the moment at any time. Truthfully, I think I am just a lonely man with too much time on his hands and no one to talk to. I now know this because I have had more than one 2 hour phone chat in the past year and they are always with the same person over different things. Who knew I was sucha talker? So if you ever see a DVD for rent at Blockbuster called group 525, you know it was either from me or someone who stole it from me. :)

It's late people. I will go to sleep now. See Talladega Nights. Shake and Bake baby!!!!!!
Go vote on MTV.com for Christina Aguilera and her video for "Ain't No Other Man." It was nominated for 4 awards. Thanks once again for the time and as always. Rabble Rock!

5 comments:

Battlerocker said...

Nice out. I am kinda disapoing that I will be unlikly ever to serve on a jury. At least in theory. Part of me would really like to make a decision like that. But the waiting is murder.

Anonymous said...

I once made up an entire hostage scenario while in line at the bank. I was of course the woman the bandido grabs and screams "everybody down or she gets it!" LOL!
Good post Rich. Thanks.

MrManuel said...

Sounds like a good film. So who would play you in the big screen version?

Anonymous said...

I think that's great. I've been wanting to do somthing like that to my ex. Make him explian himself!

Anonymous said...

You are not alone - I talk and think up little stories as well. Good story though!