Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Snakes in a Theater

It is funny for a quick second, and then you think about just how tragic this could have been:

From the National Ledger:

"Two live rattlesnakes were released in an Arizona theater during a showing of the new film, 'Snakes on a Plane.' The snakes were released after the film began rolling in the dark theater at the AMC Desert Ridge multi-plex at Tatum and the 101 in north Phoenix.
The two baby diamondbacks were actually slithering around the theater while the snakes on a plane were slithering around on screen with Samuel L. Jackson.
A bit of a panic ensued, according to a broadcast report from KSAZ Fox 10 in Phoenix, and the theater was emptied and the Arizona Herpetological Association was called in to remove the snakes.

"People are carrying them in - we believe - in backpacks - and releasing them form a container," Tom Whiting of the Arizona Herpetological Association said.

Baby rattlesnakes are even more dangerous than adult diamondbacks. A report online from James Q. Jacobs notes that baby rattlesnakes are very venomous.

"They're very deadly, very, very dangerous right from the start. Babies actually will eject all of their venom, as opposed to the adults that will eject some of their venom some of the time."

Baby rattlesnakes also can't warn their victims as they do not have rattles; rattles develop after several skin 'sheddings.'

No one was bitten by either of the snakes and the baby rattlers were captured and released into the surrounding desert.

The western diamondback is one of six rattlesnake species found in the surrounding deserts of Phoenix and one of the most common snakes in Arizona.

Snake experts in the valley are suggesting that theater owners check any backpacks that are carried into the theater for containers that may carry the snakes in case any copycats try the very dangerous stunt."


My only hope, and I don't think that I am wrong in wishing this, is that whoever did this has karma come their way and they end up getting bit by a snake somewhere down the road. Preferably miles from civilization with no transportation with no anti-venom in sight. I mean, these snakes could have bitten kids. Jackass!


In jury duty news, I called the court today and explained my situation. They said, "You want to come tomorrow?" I looked at my rather empty schedule and told them yes. So tomorrow at 8am, I report for jury duty. Wish me luck that I get on a case like I want. Nothing too long. 1 or 2 weeks, nothing more. I'll keep you updated if I get picked.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in Jury Duty. I hope you have fun.

Anonymous said...

The funny thing is, is that I heard about the snake issue on the news this morning and I thought to myself " Hmmmm I wonder if my brother will write about this on his blog?" Guess that answered my question.....
Have fun in jury duty, I had fun when I went because I got to sit up on the jury stand till the defense kicked me off, I'm looking forward to my next time.

Anonymous said...

Have fun on jury duty!

Suze said...

Good luck with the dury duty.

Did someone mention snakes?

thejerkstore said...

i know you went and saw this, but with all due respect, if someone is willing to pay to see this movie, they deserve a rattler bite.

Anonymous said...

That is a horrible thing for someone to do and I don't believe anybody deserves getting bit by a venomous snake. Especially poor innocent children. Anyways, I hope your jury duty experience was a good one and worth it. I can hardly wait for you to write about!

MrManuel said...

Nani - I did have fun, thanks!

Cassie - Yeah, it is the type of article I would write about isn't it?

Jenn - Thanks!

Suze - Thanks for visiting my site. Quite the racy site you got over there...

jerkstore - People deserve to get bit over a movie? I would say that you should get bit for playing baseball, but I'm not that mean...

mom - Yup, I'll be writing about it later...