Saturday, August 05, 2006

Hmmmm

I use to have some fairly strong opinions about public versus private school. I based a lot of this on my own experiences. I use to think that part of my robotic like behavior was caused by my private school upbringing. That I became programmed like some mindless automaton. TODAY I say nay Rich. I was wrong. No matter if I went all the way through my neighborhood schools or if I attended all the richest private schools it wouldn't have made a difference. Cause I would still be faced with many of the same situations in my life. I would make some of the same decisions. The only real difference would be my clothing. Private school uniform or my own fashions. I had the same life changing moments that any person would have. Didn't matter if it was at Jesuit HS or Foothill HS. I would still make friends and decide what I like in life. I would still have the same motivations and goals in life. I would be exactly where I am today. Maybe at a different job. Maybe in a different location. But as a whole, I'd be the same guy. Cause in the end, if you are going to rise to the top you just will no matter if you are at a private catholic all-boys school or a public co-ed school. What I put on my resume no longer should effect how I look at my upbringing or who I am as a man now. What happened today on August 5th, 2006 should no longer effect me. It is the past. 10 minutes ago is over and I can't relive that either. So it's just time to face right now.

OK short but sweet. Hopefully there was a point to that. By the way Cassie, UFC tickets run from $100-$750. Ya gotta get front row so I can see ya on PPV. Once in a lifetime $750 is worth it. It's Vegas baby. :) Rabble Rock!

7 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I went to a private religious school for kindergarten, 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. I know that's young - probably too young to even realize the difference between private and public school, especially when that's all I knew back then. But looking back on my experiences there and in public school, private school was SUPER easy for me. And I've heard that private school is supposed to be harder. I know the work in those grades is not rocket science, but I was always done first and always got extra work. But I agree - I think I'd be the same person if I stayed all of my education in private school instead of going to public school. I am who I am.

Anonymous said...

"Stupid"/poor people go hand in hand.
I went to schools in bad neighborhoods. Some experiences scarred me for life. Public school can be a nightmare just because of all the really, really mean kids that go there. You think you would be the same? I highly doubt it, especially if you went to a really poor school. Richer people are happier, if you haven't noticed. They are usually more successfull, and don't share the same struggles as poor people, (not that they don't struggle at all)
Why do you think parents with money put their kids into private school? To get them away from the unhappy, poor, mean kids. Poor kids aren't as educated as those with money. They can't focus on their studies when they know that at the next recess, the school bully is planning to take out their aggressions and unhappiness on them.

It is very easy to look down from your mountain and make judgments from a far. Climb down and live amongst them, and then see if you can't muster compassion and understanding for them.

Anonymous said...

I believe I would still be the same person whether I went to private or public school. I know what I want out of life and it wouldn't change just because of the school I went to. I do have to admit though that going to Foothill taught me a lot. I've seen and experienced a lot and I am definitely tougher and meaner because of experiences I've gone through so don't mess with me because I hit really hard! That's a part of me that actually would be different if I had gone to a private school. I would probably still be naive.

Anonymous said...

Oh I forgot!
Yes Rich I would love to be in the front row at UFC, I love UFC!
Is that weird?
Anyways, but $750, if I didn't love purses so much then ya, but I'm saving my money for a Louis Vuitton purse!

MrManuel said...

Al, after working at a poor school for three years, I can say that poor does not equal stupid at all. I had many highly intelligent students. I saw very little bullying even though this was in one of the poorest areas in the district. There are mean kids wherever you go. Go to a rich school, and instead of poor bullies, you get rich jerks. Are there advantages in education if you go to a rich school? In a way, yes. But the main factor will always be how hard the student tries, and how much the parents actually care. Work hard at a poor school, get the good grades, and move on to a good college where the playing field evens out a little more. Sure, you have to be able to pay for college, but hey, that is why they have school loans for those without scholarships.

Anonymous said...

I never meant to imply that ALL poor kids are stupid. And yes, there are bullies at every school. There were very smart kids at my schools, but they were usually the kids who weren't "the nerds." They could function well within this poor school.

What I meant was the "hardness" Cassie was just talking about. She hits hard now, instead of taking any crap. This hardness can lead to depression, which takes the wind out of anyone's sails, and sometimes permanently.

Poor kids don't always have the opportunities private kids have. And like I said, parents with the money to do it, put their kids into private schools for a better school existence.

Anonymous said...

p.s My comments are not directly aimed at mr. videoguy, they are for everybody.

It is not just the kids at poor schools that make it suck. Your students were lucky to have you, Man. Did you know that some of my teachers in my crappy schools actually put me and my work down in front of the whole class? These teachers also did not protect me from the other kids' taunting, but joined in! Did you know that I didn't do any work at all in the fourth grade because my teacher was an alcoholic and drank at work? Did you know that at some point I almost gave up on my education? I almost "fell through the cracks."
It wasn't until I was put into a BETTER SCHOOL, that I realized that I was smart, talented and worthwhile. I actually graduated, but I was left with an absolute hatred for school, and that has kept me from going to college. I am therefore, less successfull than those who went to college. Being an adult now, I realize I have no excuse for not going. I am kicking it around.

Looks like this subject hit a nerve with me!