Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Nerd Alert Post

Back in December, I wrote an article because I was pissed off that the USPS was releasing stamps with images of those crappy characters from DC Comics. I wrote that Marvel characters would have been better choices and I gave my choices for 10 Marvel characters as opposed to 10 DC characters.

I suggested Wolverine, Spiderman, Hulk, Captain America, Punisher, Thing, Thor, Silver Surfer, Ghost Rider, and Gambit. Thankfully, USPS has officially announced that next year, they will release Marvel stamps! Well, I got 6 out of 10 right according to the official release. Let's review who they are releasing next year on stamps:

Let's start with the ones USPS and I agree on
Wolverine: OK, an obvious choice with how popular the X-Men movies have been. Good choice.









Spiderman: - Another obvious choice. Cool!









Incredible Hulk: - Still another obvious choice.










Captain America: - No good Captain America movie yet, but an icon. I'm happy with it.








The Thing: - Not an obvious choice, but the movie made decent money and that is enoug to warrant the stamp.








Silver Surfer: - Not an obvious choice, but seeing as how he will be in the next Fantastic Four movie next year, I'm not surprised.











That is the six we agree on. My other four were Punisher, Thor, Gambit, and Ghost Rider. Instead, Marvel and USPS have chosen:

Sub Mariner: He's been in comics since the 1940s, but has never really achieved BIG popularity. Not quite sure why they chose him, but ok.







Spider Woman: - Stupid character. Not popular. Stupid, stupid, stupid.










Elektra: Probably only here because of the crappy Elektra movie. Achieved cult status in comics way before the movie, but I don't think she warrants a stamp. Don't really get the appeal, but some will be happy. Not sure why there is three of her posted here.





Iron Man: Not sure why I didn't think of him the first time. Good character and I am ok with it. With an Iron Man movie coming out in 2008, this is not a surprise at all.






So, I like the 6 choices we agree on, and am ok with one, MAYBE two of the others. With a Ghost Rider movie coming out next year, I'm surprised he didn't get picked. Also suprised no Thor or Punisher. Well, maybe not Punisher as the USPS probably doesn't want a stamp of someone who goes around shooting people!!!

9 comments:

Jose said...

Man I grew up watching Batman, but I remember as a child watching Fantastic Four, Aquaman, Spiderman, Superman, Swamp Thing and the Incredible Hulk. I just never cared who published them.

Anonymous said...

I'm happy they are releasing Marvel stamps. I hope you plan on buying the collection. I would definitely like to see a Thor stamp as well.

Anonymous said...

I like La Chou's idea....it's too funny!

MrManuel said...

Jose - I've always been a Marvel snob

Mom - Yeah, I'll be buying a sheet to keep

La Chou - That is a scary image

Cass - Scary!

POM - Yeah, I ron Man is pretty cool. A dick in comics right now, but cool.

Anonymous said...

The Punisher would bring new definition to the phrase "going postal."

Battlerocker said...

I've never heard of some of them, especially the last several. I guess I need to read some more comics. It's odd, I loved the scifi / fantasy / superpowers stuff when I was a kid, but somehow never got very big into comics. No idea why.

Crazy Bitch said...

I have NEVER heard of Submariner!

SpiderWoman is the worst! Oh my God, why?

I like your abbreviation for purpleoceanmoon! I know Jenn does too!

MrManuel said...

Val - Yeah, definitely not getting a Punisher...

Battlerocker - Because you probbaly aren't a nerd like me!

CB - Spiderwoman to meet the woman hero quota

Anonymous said...

No Punisher! Crap...