Tuesday, August 08, 2006

This is the end....

This is the end
Beautiful friend
This is the end
My only friend, the end


No, the blog isn't coming to an end. My career as a real estate agent is. I got into real estate a little over a year ago because after three years of teaching, I was sick of it. The reasons are plentiful and you can go back and look if you care to. When Jessica and I bought out first home, I loved how real estate worked and I decided to make a career change. It was scary to leave a good job for an uncertain one, but I decided it was better than being happy. And you know what, I LOVE real estate. What I didn't count on was the sudden plummet of the real estate market. Suddenly, GOOD, LONGTIME agents in my office were struggling. And me? Well, I had a few things here and there, but it isn't going to pay the bills day in and day out. I love my job, but it is time to pat myself on the back and say good try.

Last night was the final nail in the coffin. I was this close to getting my listing in escrow. After dealing with an asshole Realtor for a week, we finally got a contract that looked like it was going to work. Unfortunately, some really stressful situations came upon my sellers culminating in a real hard past weekend. They informed me last night that due to the family circumstances, they had to pull the house off the market mere hours before we were to go into escrow. Family comes first and I totally understand. I have no ill will towards them at all as almost anyone faced with the same circumstances would do the same thing. It was just a culmination of everything that has gone south in the past month and throughout the year. Remember a few posts when I said to keep your fingers crossed as I had a lot going on. I did. I had FIVE potential deals in my back pocket. For one reason or another, they are all now gone. Not even one of the five. This is how my career has gone and I am taking that as a sign. I'll probably work the rest of the month and then quit.

So now I go about finding a new job. Better yet, a new CAREER. I did apply for a position at the Franchise Tax Board, but they said because I didn't have a class in accounting, I couldn't have it. That's all you had to have - ONE class. Not a degree, just the class. I have a college degree from a damn good university. I am sure the math I was doing was much harder than accounting. But nope, I don't qualify. Screw them. So, I guess I start working on my resume. Thing is, I want something that I can make a career out of. It doesn't have to start off high in salary, but it has to have some sort of career advancement for hard workers. I guess this blog will be a good way to let people know how the job hunt goes. Wish me luck....

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whoa, changing your career is a big decision to make! Good luck, man! I know you'll find a place to excel and be happy! Have you ever thought of owning your own business?

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that, but I know things will work out for you

Anonymous said...

I always have you in my thoughts and prayers. I'm so sorry it didn't work our for you but I know you'll find something you can be happy in. Hugs :-)

Anonymous said...

Son, there is not much I can say or will say except that I am so very proud of you for what you did and what you accomplished. It might not have panned out the way you expected it but you did take the risk and for that I admire you. An even bigger thank you to Jessica for all your support and love. I know that there is something out there for you and you have all my respect and admiration and again, all my love.

Anonymous said...

Brother,
I'm sorry that this didn't work out. I know that you really loved this job, but for some reason it didn't work out. I love you and I know something will come your way. And hey if nothing comes then you can always help me open my own boutique!

thejerkstore said...

i'll tell you what to avoid; waking up at 4am everyday to open a gym, b/c man, that is NO way to live. good luck.

Battlerocker said...

good luck!

MrManuel said...

Everyone, thanks for all of the kind words. I'll keep you all updated on what I decide. I guess I should just make sure not to choose open gym at 4am. I've been warned...

Anonymous said...

So you don't get in trouble, I'm writing to point out that "Realtor" is a trademarked name and is not synonymous with "real estate agent". "Realtor" is a member of the National Association of Realtors and must be capitalized. Not all Realtor's are real estate agents and not all real estate agents are Realtors.

MrManuel said...

Marlow...yeah, i get lazy when I write. Thanks for the heads up...

Anonymous said...

I wish you Luck. Most of the people here are former Real Estate Agents. It's a very hard to do everyday. Maybe, you could still do it on the side, when something comes up? I know what ever you do, YOU will be great. I have no doubt about that!

J said...

I work for the state...I just took the Staff Services Analyst test and in 2 weeks I've had about 20 contact letters. If you're good at math, keep checking spb.ca.gov for test dates.