Friday, June 22, 2007

Day 70

Having nothing to say and saying it anyways.

It hit me at the end of my route when a security guard ended our meeting with, "Don't work too hard."

Really? Is that what you want me to do? Perhaps I have a frustrated lil comedian in me who is very cynical and sarcastic, but my head can run through so many things once something like that is said to me. I understand there are a certain amount of standard lines people use when going through the everyday chatter and small talk with people. I get it. They may not really mean it so seriously, but come on. Don't work too hard? Why not? I like work. Sometimes. What if I have been working hard all day long and need to work just that lil bit harder to get through that day. Suddenly Tony Robbins is there to give me that last non-motivational push with a "Don't work too hard." Maybe you definition of working too hard differs from mine. And what if I did work too hard? What's the worst that could come from that? I get tired earlier in the day. I make others around me feel inadequate? What if I have been following this advice all day long before I came across this lovely security guard? How is he to know I haven't gone about my day in a lazy laid-back manner that permeates not working too hard? No matter to this presumptuous ass who has decided that I need to hear some fortune cookie advice on my way out of his facility. Well Knute Rocke, Save your speech and your pep talk. I got it all under control. I will also be staying out of the sun as much as possible cause another person decided it's too hot to be outside and I should try and find the shade as much as possible. I will attempt to have a good weekend and stay out of trouble for the sake of your good conscience receptionist lady. Call me a bitter old man, but geez I just don't find myself saying something just to say it. If I wish someone a good afternoon I freaking mean it. I want you to have a good day and enjoy your weekend. I will tell the people I actually want this for. Not ever freaking person who I come across. And while I'm near the subject does it really hurt you to say thank you when I hold the door for you ladies? I know you are busy and an important person, but look up and make eye contact and say thank you for me when a gentleman holds your door open for you. That's all I ask. I'm not asking for sexual favors in return. Just act like another human being did something right by you, okay?

That's enough for now. Rabble Rock!

3 comments:

Mom said...

I say thanks you to anybody who holds the door for me. I hate it when I hold the door and they just walk right through! People are so wrapped in themselves that manners have gone out the window. I've often come up with a sarcastic comment when people tell me to have a nice weekend - I usually say - "Don't tell me what to do!" I laugh it off and then go about my business.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I ALWAYS say thank you when people hold the door for me. In fact, I make it a point to make eye contact and smile at them when I say it so they know I REALLY mean it. I find that they usually smile back because it makes you feel good to do something for someone else, especially when they make it clear that they genuinely appreciate your gesture/effort.

After reading your post, Rich, I find that I am guilty of doing the things you talk about. I never say "don't work too hard" or "stay out of trouble. I do say "be good" on occasion. And yesterday I said "have a good weekend" to someone at work and I didn't mean it. In fact, I'd rather her have the worst weekend of her life, maybe where she falls and twists her ankle and loses something she likes a lot. Ok, that's a little harsh. I don't really mean that and actually felt kind of bad while I typed it, but I was trying to make a point - I said something I didn't mean to someone. But I guess it was just to be polite. If I didn't say anthing it would have been rude, so I guess I'd rather say something I don't mean than be rude.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

I always say thanks to people when they open a door.. especially when I have Mr.Giggles in tow..

Sometimes there are the type that are just too moronic to even notice that I'm entering/exiting in the same way they are at the same bloody time.. Hello!.. Thanks I really wanted my kid to taste metal in the face...
Some people don't have any other way to communicate and find it difficult to say anythng but "don't work too hard". Or "nice day out" Yes it is.. I can see that it's a nice day out.. Thanks for pointing that out.. I was too stupid to notice the sun blinding me...