Monday, June 18, 2007

The Kelly Situation








Been meaning to write this post for quite a while, but just had other things to write about or not enough time. A few years back I discovered this weird coincidence. Hopefully this doesn't embaress a fellow reader...

In my childhood days, I had some clearly subconscious obesession with the name Kelly. I really don't remember it, but my family says one of the first people I ever liked or was my 1st grade girlfriend or something alog those lines was a girl in 1st grade named Kelly R. (later Kelly H.) I don't really remember that, but I iwll take their word for it. I don't really remember much in the way of crushes in the years after that, but I do remember having a crush on a girl named Kelly P. in 5th grade. Unfortunately, she moved away.

There were a few crushes in 6th and 7th grade, but nothing worth writing about. Then in 8th and 9th grade, I had my first real girlfriend, a girl named Kelly B. who I dated a couple of times in those 2 years (yu know how things are at that age!). In fact, had she not moved aay after 9th grade, I would be willing to bet money that we would have dated a couple more times.

It was about this time that Kelly P. moved back and we quickly became really good friends. In fact, she was probably my best friend in high school, or at least my best female friend. Well, when you hang out with and talk that much with a person, I guess it was hard not to have a big crish on the person. This crush/friendship lasted a couple of years and it wasn't until I started dating a girl named Nicole that the crush was completely gone. So finally, I like a girl and her name ISN'T Kelly! So, a couple of days into dating her, I find out her middle name and you guessed it, it was Kelly. How weird is that? That relationship didn't last long and it is probably for the better because she freaked MrVideoGuy out once. Totally different story though.

Finally, in the middle of my senior year, I started dating Jessica, my future wife. We had known each other since 6th grade, but this was the first time we went the dating route. Well, let's see. Her first name was't Kelly, her last name was't Kelly, but wouldn't you know it, her last name was.....Kelley. Of course at the time, I didn't even realize the phenomenon with the word. It wasn't until college when I looked back that I discovered this freaky coincidence. Anyone else ever like 2 or more people with the same name growing up? How about 5 people?

Bonus points to whoever can tell me what movie inspired the title for this post. Jess you can't play as I KNOW you know it...

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Pulp Fiction" is the movie.

Me and you have something very in common, we had a Kelly fetish. My first engagement was to a Kelley (yes, that's how she spelled it), a girl that lived downstairs from me a few years ago and ended up with me after my last breakup was named Kelly, and I met and dated a girl I talked to due to work who's name was Kelli. I think I dated or went out with a total of 6 Kellies.

That name (Kelly) is the name of the She-Devil I believe.

Great post, now I have to burn my black book.

Anonymous said...

In elementary school I had the biggest crush on this boy named Michael B. I crushed on him all through elementary school. He was so cute and in fourth grade we went out for a couple days...hello it was elementary school. Things happen though and we broke up or whatever you want to call it. Every night before bed I would say this "Please god let me go out with Michael in highschool!" Well I wasn't specific on which Michael I wanted to go out with and in junior high I met Michael L. He liked me, but I had started dating someone who isn't worth mentioning, and so we stayed friends. I dated some other guys and near the end of eighth grade when I was single again Michael L. asked me out, we dated all through highschool and to this day have been together for 7 years and are getting married September 1st.
I'm glad I wasn't specific with which Michael I wanted to be with because I never would have met Michael L.
I'm still friends with Michael B. however and his girlfriend is one of my very good friends and they are invited to my wedding!
Good post brother!

Anonymous said...

Hope you do not mind, I am linking you and going a step further with this idea. I really liked it.

Tara said...

My mom's maiden name is Kelly, and it's also the name of a pet collie I had when I was much younger. Kelly, Kelly, Kelly.

laura b. said...

That is so funny! I have never dated two men with the same name in my life!
Great post :-)

npanth said...

It was ...acey for me. Stacey, Tracey, names like that. It was a college thing, evidently... haven't dated one since.

Mom said...

Actually, dear Kelly P kissed you in Kindergarten. It was at our house on your birthday. I never knew you dated Kelly B a few times. Learn something new every day! All Kelley's were nice, with the exception of the middle name Kelly. Never did care for her! But, of course, we LOVE Jessica Kelley-now Valle! She was actually the one we have liked ever since we met her in 6th grade!!!

Anonymous said...

My big name is "Chris". My first very serious boyfriend was Chris. Later came another Chris that I dated for a few years. On the platonic front, my first best friend at the age of three was Chris.I had two friends in grade school named Chris. My best friend in high school was Kris (rest in peace). I tutored a girl for literacy named Kris. My old boyfriend Chris married a girl named Chris who is now my friend. That name is very special to me. I even wrote a post in my blog about it called "The Chrisses".
"The Chrisses

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I think I pointed the Kelly Situation out to you, didn't I?

Evil-e, Kelley is the ONLY way to spell it!

Mom, thank you for all those nice things you said about me! I figured out, once Manuel and I started dating, that Papi had his eye on me since at least junior high - there's the picture at 8th grade graduation of my family. Manuel and I weren't even really friends then, we knew each other but that was as far as it went, so why would he take a picture of my family unless he knew I was the one for your son, your son?!

Anonymous said...

OK, to set the record straight, Kelly is NOT the name of the She-Devil. I will admit, evil and callous at times, but She-Devil is a bit extreme. =)

In high school is seemed like almost all of my boyfriends' names started with the letter D. My dad was certain it stood for dumbass. Can't say I disagree looking back... thank goodness I met a Pete!

Anonymous said...

By the way, you were my best friend! Boy or not.

MrManuel said...

Evil E - Wow, what a coincidence on the name! Good job on the reference.

Cass - I thought Michael B was gay...

Tara - The name keeps coming..


LB - You are lucky


Npanth - aceys....funny!


Mom- You knew, you probably just forgot.


Sonja - See, it happened to you too. Freaky

Mrs - Possibly you did

Kel - Yeah, I remember some of those Ds. I think the boyfriend I liked the least of yours was that one from Mira Loma. Can't remember his name. I just remember the first time I met him, he didn't know I was friends with Gabe who also went to his school(although, why would he know) and he made fun of him. That pissed me off and he was on my shit list from there on out. And who I am kidding, you were my best friend too. Not sure why I added that at least for a female thing.

Sharon said...

I work with a Kelly who I can't imagine anyone could love but who knows. If you would have met her she would have most certainly broken your obsession with Kellies.

BTW good story!

PurpleOceanMoon said...

I was all about David's there for a while. I wonder why that sort of thing happens.