Friday, June 01, 2007

Day 92 ........late again

A day late and a dollar short. That's what my Dad use to tell me whenever he would look at my report card. Then he would hug me and hand me fifty dollars. I'm not sure the message ever got across to me with such a horrible form of reinforcement. Just Kidding Dad. As if he will ever read these blogs anyways.

Basically I just forgot to get back online yesterday. I put it off till the end of the night and then just went to bed. Taking care of this kid is hard damn work. And by kid I mean Larry the wundermutt. By the way as I just wrote that I saw him roll back first off our couch and onto our hardwood floor. He is a bright one. I still gotta finish my dog training for dummies book. It might be too smart for me after all.

I will keep this in the realm of things I just dig. After picking my brother up from work we managed to make it back to the house in time to finish watching a sporting event. Last night I watched a basketball game. This game is the reason why basketball is my first love as a sport I play as well as watch. It was game five of the best of seven series to determine the Eastern Conference champions in the NBA. Cleveland at Detroit. Series tied two games a piece. I watched the majority of the fourth quarter as well as both overtime periods. If you saw it live or manage to ever watch a replay of this portion of the game you will bear witness to the fulfillment of the prophecy. LeBron James, aka The Chosen One, gave use all a glimpse into the world of being the top .01 percent of the professional basketball world. He scored the last 25 points for his team and 29 of it's last 30. He shot and made game-tying shots. He shot and made game-winning shots. He hit fadeaway 25-footers over two defenders. He strode past defenders on his way to finishing at least 5 field goals with thunderous dunks. He willed his Cleveland Cavaliers to a victory on the road against the best team in the Eastern Conference this past regular season. When it was all done he could only stop and bury his head in his teammates chest as if he came back to reality and left the upper stratosphere he was in for about 30 minutes. He had exhausted his entire mind, body and soul to take what he wanted. Even if you don't watch sports or like them you can still find amazement in the sheer capacity of the human spirit displayed by a fellow person. He is just like any one of us. He is an example of what it is to maximize your potential through hard work, determination and a lil gift from the genetic lottery. To me, looking at it poetically, LeBron James is the embodiment of the abstract idea of Love made tangible and visceral. I have watched old NBA games to see the brilliance of past performers in their prime. This time on this night I saw it live. I will see it again sometime in my life and I will tell whoever is around that I saw it live as it happened. I can't wait for the feeling to happen again.

A side note to this LeBron James rant. I attended his first NBA game back in 2003. He played the Sacramento Kings. The Kings were still contenders and this was a national TV broadcast. He was 18 years old at the time I believe. His team included the likes of Ricky Davis and Darius Miles. In his first professional game he scored 27 points. The Sacramento Kings won the game. I actually left the arena that night and did something I have never done. I saved the ticket stub. I also saved a commemorative pin that was given out that night. I did it because when I tell this story I am actually able to prove that I wa sone of the 17,000 people in the building that night.
I WAS ABLE TO DO THAT!
Someone stole the ticket and the pin. It happened a few years back when my parents garage got broken into. A dresser drawer where I kept odd and ends was cleaned out. WHY! What kind of value could that possibly have for that asshole who took it? I am still pissed about it obviously. I want my proof back. My final thought. Go see him in person someday before his career is over. Just to be able to say I saw LeBron James play a basketball game. Just one of those things I think people have to do in their lives. Rabble Rock!

2 comments:

Miss Sassy Pants said...

That's unbelievable that someone stole THAT of all things. Unfortunately you can't PROVE it anymore, but you'll always KNOW you were there.

MrManuel said...

We are all witnesses...