Monday, June 18, 2007

Day 74

I am German, Irish and Filipino

At least that's what I have been told. Truth be told I could be anything my parents made me up to believe and I would believe it. Narrowed down I am a nice mix of white guy and brown guy, I don't really identify with any of my nationality on the whole. I pass for both depending on who is looking at me at the time. I don't have stand-out features that make you say oh he is obviously Filipino. Same hand no one is asking me about my white heritage at the same time. I don't know anything bout my mix of 3 nationalities. I know lots of people like to be able to show their pride in who they are or where they came from. Really, I am just an American. I think that's better. I don't cling to any one thing as if I was joining a club in high school.

I am what I am. Nothing. I am just a person. I don't know the background of my co-workers Lo, Chris, Marlon or Shannon. I just know them as my friends. That's all. That's as far as I will ever take it with them. To the point tonight. Rabble Rock!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This world is becoming a mixing pot! You are just a human being. Do we really need to subdivide?

teeth whiteners

Anonymous said...

This post reminds of a recent interview with Jessica Alba. She's mixed with many differnet heritages as well, but says that she doesn't feel connected to any certain one. She says above all she is an American and doesn't necessarily want to be catergorized as a Latino actress.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

There are many people that have different ethnic backgrounds and don't really care to know about it.. I don't find that all that surprising..I've been told I have Irish/British.. in me.. but since I was adopted I really don't know about my heritage...It doesn't bother me not knowing...I'm Canadian...

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I can argue both sides of the fence on this one.

I can see how identifying with your heritage gives you something to belong to and something where you can say, "Hey, I came from here." I am a mutt, there's a little bit of everything in me, but I like to claim the Irish and Bohemian parts. It's just cool to know that my relatives came from a country that no longer exists.

On the other hand, I think a lot of this heritage identification is getting out of control and causing trouble. There are people out there who take it to an extreme and walk around with a huge chip on their shoulders because they think they are owed something for being part of a particular ethnicity/race/culture. Nobody is owed anything and the bottom line is the fact that we're all human beings.

Mom said...

I am me! I do identify myself with being of mexican heritage and I'm proud of it. However, I don't believe I'm owed anything or lesser of anything just because. Just like the movie actors/actresses that win and say finally a win for the black actor! That always upsets me - I see them just as an actor like anyone else and they won because they were good - that's it! Like Jess said - you can relate and be proud of where you came from don't go extreme.