Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 78

More flashbacks.

I walked through the commissary of what used to be McClellan Air Force Base with my Dad the other day. It just made me think of the good old days. I use to be the family grocery getter. Hand me a check and a list and come back with change. This was about 10 years ago or so. I can remember those long lines. Getting the same exact items ever trip and throwing in at least one item that I took as my tip. Back when my military ID still was active I would use it practically every day. Free use of a gym and it's very empty basketball court. Movie theatre down the street. The BX and food court right next to the commissary. And ultra low gas prices. Ya I miss it.

Walking up and down the aisles of the commissary I realized how much food I haven't eaten in the longest time. The staples of my youth and teens. I know I can't really eat in that fashion ever again, but one day I am going back to get some items I just have to eat once again. Here is a small list.

1. Spam and white rice. The Spam has to be slightly dark. Burnt really. Crispy. It's gotta crunch in your mouth and the rice. Sticky. My rice has to be sticky. Gotta have my Mom make that for me. She has years of skill with that combo.

2. Chili and bread. White bread. Wonderbread preferred. Big Loaf. 5-6 slices. A can of Hormel Chili. Even mix of beans and meat. Sometimes throw in some shredded cheddar cheese and melt it into the chili mix. Now combine the two in any fashion. Dip your bread slices. Scoop some chili out and make a bread wrap of chili. Love it.

3. Steakums. Pure salty oily meaty goodness. Sandwich meat that came in a box frozen stiff. Had to let em thaw on the grill and get ready to be splattered a lil bit. Once again Wonderbread has to be around to soak up all the juices as you get ready to start your heart attack.

4. Cinnamon Tortillas. Simple enough. get a tortilla and place it in a pan. Heat it and slightly brown it and crisp it and then add. Butter. Cinnamon. Sugar. Let that combine and melt and mix into the tortilla. Crispy crunchy sugary loveliness.

5. Shells and cheese and hot dogs. Simple. Kraft mac shells and cheese. With the soft cheese packet, not the powder. Boil or microwave you hot dogs. Slice em up and add em into the pasta mix. Serve room temperature with some flavored sunkist soda. Grape or Strawberry preferred.

That's it. This is why I was nicknamed "Twinkie" on my soccer team back when I was 12.
The good old days. Money is Power. Rabble Rock!

4 comments:

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Hello there Twinkie...... All that sounds sort of interesting.. and full of tons of calories... Oh the dreaded calories...

MrManuel said...

Ahhh....hormel chili with shredded cheese. I put mine on top of a plate of french fries. It's my bachelor dinner when Jessica goes out of town...

Sebastien Millon said...

I wouldn't have been very happy with a nickname like that. It's probably a good thing you changed your diet up a bit!

Mom said...

Those Steakums were the best. I thought we were the only family that used to eat them.