Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Top Five Tuesday #12

Had a hard time deciding what topic to use as I had a couple in mind, but I think I like my choice.

My top 5 sports memories (that didn't directly include me):

#5 - 1999 Women's World Cup Final - US vs China on our home soil. After a scoreless game, it goes to overtime. US wins on Chastain's kick! Yeah, it would be much more epic if the men were to ever win the Cup, but this was not lacking in excitement.

#4 - 2001 Playoffs, game 4, Lakers vs Kings - No, this wasn't the epic series which will be discussed later, this was the year before. Why was this game so special? I was there. The Lakers/Kings rivalry was in full swing and with the Kings facing elimination, they put on a spirited performance at home. It was beyond exciting. Heck, I think we might have stood the whole game. And the noise! There were many times where the crowd was so loud, we couldn't even hear the announcer over the loud speaker.

#3 - The heartbreaking buzzer beaters - I was a big Charles Barkley fan when he played, especially once he moved to the Suns in the 92-93 season. Over the next few years, he played on some really good teams that could have won a championship. He just happened to be the victim of some buzzer beaters that destroyed his dreams starting with that 93 Suns team. The Suns were in the finals only to have John Paxon of the Bulls hit a last second(well, 4 seconds left) shot to win the championship. The next year, the Suns were in the Western Conference Finals, but lost game 7 to a buzzer beater by Mario Elie of the Rockets. A couple of years later, Barkley moved to the Rockets and was on another good team, only to lose from a last second shot from John Stockton of the Utah Jazz. 3 good teams - 3 teams that lost at the very end. These still haunt me.

#2 - 2002 NBA Western Conference Finals - The series that could have taken the Kings to the championship round (and most likely a title) if they could have beaten the rival Lakers. What a series it was! I still seem replays of these games on NBA tv now and then. From Horry's buzzer beater in game 4, to Bibby's game winner in game 5, to Bibby's forehead fouling Kobe's elbow in game 6, to the game 7 overtime choke by the kings, it was an epic series. All that was missing for Kings fans like me was the game 7 win. Heartbreaking, but one to remember.

#1 - Easy. In 1994, the World Cup, the greatest spectacle in sports, came to the United States. I was lucky enough to attend one of the games in Palo Alto. This was an amazing experience. The gathering of people from around the world, all gathered in one place cheering on the teams was something to behold. Cheers, chants, and dress in so many nationalities was simply something I will never forget.

So what sports memories do you have? I know you have to have some Rich...

9 comments:

Jose said...

I just don't care much about sorts, I guess it comes from being jelaous since I have no natural gift that will make me filthy rich the way professional athletes do.

Anonymous said...

No specific order....you will notice I happen to live in enemy territory in some cases.

#5. Steelers beat the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL. I was youngish for the first four.

#4. Steelers beat the Browns 41-0 in the Browns return to the NFL after being gone for 5 years.

#3. Jose "freaking" Mesa game 7 of the '97 World Series. The Marlins defeat the Tribe in the 9th. Mesa blows the save.

#2. Indians defeat Mariners in the Kingdome in game 6 of the '95 ALCS, the Tribe's first World Series appearance in my lifetime and since 1954.

#1. "The Fumble"...the Browns driving for the go-ahead score against the Denver Broncos after being down by 21 in the 4th quarter. Earnest Byner fumbles on his way into the end zone with less than 2 minutes left. I laughed so hard that day amongst all the sad little Browns fans.

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I remember #5. We were having a family reunion at Aunt Phyllis' house and I was playing in the pool and not watching the game. You and I were together but you did not come to the family reunion, as you were home watching the game of which you speak. I remember toward the end when it was in overtime we were all inside watching. When it was in over I didn't really care (don't get your panties in a bunch) but I knew that you would be happy. And sure enough, you finally came to the reunion with the American flag around your shoulders.

I remember #4 too. You and I went to that game together. I remember standing up the whole time, yelling and screaming and cheering, as were all of the other 16,998 people in that arena. I don't remember much of the game, but I DO remember, like you said, it was SO loud that we never heard the announcer. We'd be like, "Who fouled him?" That WAS an awesome experience.

I'm not a big sports fan so I don't have many experiences like the ones you talked about, but I am able to appreciate the soccer game we went to in New Jersey at Giant's Stadium when we saw Manchester United. I'm actually surprised this was not on your list. I have never been to a bigger gathering of people. They all knew the words to the same chants and songs. It was cool not only for that, but to be part of a 4 stop tour of a team that plays in Europe and doesn't venture over the pond too often.

Mom said...

Jess, I do remember when he went to the reunion after that game. I think we dropped him off. That was a great game. For me, even though it's not technically a sport, but I do remember going to see the WWF at Arco Arena. That was exciting! I also remember fondly the year that we watched I believe an entire Olympic season on TV, remember that Manuel? It was the year of the first "Dream Team". That, I believe, was the most memorable Olympic season ever. Of course, I do remember watching the 72 Olympics in Munich. That was a sight as well. But I have to agree with your Number 1. Seeing an international event such as the World Cup was an experience I'll never forget. The pride that you see in everyone holding their flags and cheering for their Country was so exciting! The thing I like about the World Cup is that it truly is a world come together and the champions can defintely say they are "World" champions. Unlike the "World Series". What "world"???

fringes said...

Houston Oilers and Bills. Oilers and Chiefs. Oilers and Broncos. Oilers and any other team...

I had a rough childhood.

MrManuel said...

jose - but they are so entertaining...

evil e - I remember that Mesa game vividly

mrs - I can't believe I forgot the ManU game. That was a dream come true.

Mom - Yeah, that was a great summer watching non stop Olympics

Fringes - Yeah, poor Oilers

Anonymous said...

Funny that, in the UK they consider USA 94 probably the weakest world cup ever (though Brazil were awesome in it).

My favourite sporting memories are:-

#6 - "Good God Almighty! It killed him!" call by JR when Mankind went off the cell, KOTR 98.

#5 - Christ Priest last minute winner from Colwyn Bay against Bradford Park Avenue, Janurary 2007

#4 - The last day of the Ashes 2005, the drama of "could England do it?", the collapse, and then big Kevin Pietersen steadying the boat.

#3 - Wales Winning The Grand Slam of Rugby in 2004, including a party-inducing beat of the English by 11 points to 9.

#2 - Manchester United vs. Bayern Munich 1999. One word by the totally unbiased UK Commentator: "SOLSKJAER!!!!!!!!!"

#1 - Liverpool vs. AC Milan 2005. I was in Liverpool that night, best night of my life.

Mrs. Hairy Woman said...

Since I don't watch a lot of sports... I can only say I remember when the Toronto Blue Jays won the Pennant 2 yrs running.. That's about it..

MrManuel said...

Rhys - I can't believe i forgot that ManU/Bayern game!

babybull - You're missing out!