Friday, June 01, 2007

Day 91

Short one.

Ever give bad directions to a complete stranger? It's happened to us all. Someone pulls up to you on the road at a stoplight or something and asks you how to get somewhere. I have, in the past, just said I don't know because I honestly did not know what direction to point this person in. It has happened while walking the streets of San Francisco as well. I guess my work uniform somehow signals to people that I know where everything is in the downtown area of San Fran.
Today I had a guy pull next to me and ask me if the freeway we were about to enter took us back to San Francisco. I followed by saying yes just stay going straight ahead and you will run into an 80 west exit which will lead you to San Francisco. The driver and the passenger seemed less than convinced by my answer, but as I took my exit they did stay the course and head in the direction I had pointed them. I immediately knew that I was not completely sure I sent them the wrong way. I began thinking how pissed they would be that I sent them down the road to nowhere. I felt my OCD kick in. I finished my stop and then proceeded to head back to the freeway I was on to make sure that I had sent them the right way. It was slightly out of my way to go backwards, but it was worth finding out to ease my mind. As it turns out my directions were correct. Sort Of! There was no need to exit anything to get onto 80 west. the freeway I sent them down turned into 80 west, so I am sure they figured out the change and that they were on there way to The City. Wasted an extra 45 minutes of my day cause of traffic on the way back, but I got what I wanted. Peace of mind and a blog entry. Mostly just peace of mind cause I'm a freak and would have felt bad if I did those guys in like that. Tidbits of the driving professional. Fun, right? rabble Rock!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember once giving directions to someone on the phone (I was working and it was a customer)on how to get to our building. Even though I was sure of my directions, my voice must have held some kind of doubt because he demanded to speak with someone else about the directions. That was embarrassing...

Miss Sassy Pants said...

I have never given bad directions on purpose. Truthfully, I try to NEVER give directions because I have trouble even finding my way out of a paper bag...

You're a good man, Rich, to go back and see if you sent them the right way. Not only did you get your peace of mind, but you got the correct info for the next time someone stops you because of your uniform and asks directions.

MrManuel said...

You're a good man Charlie Brown. Very impressed...